I Didn’t Have a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Thinking about summer internships takes me back to last spring.  No, maybe even before that.  I think there was still snow on the ground when my fellow BC students started to look for the perfect summer internship.  One that would encompass all of real life work day qualities and might even be paid!  The luckiest of BC students snagged those most desirable internships first, and they quickly took the opportunities off the market.  With time ticking by and flowers beginning to bloom, people started to panic.  But not me.  I was lucky enough to avoid all the stress of the internship process, because I simply did not want one.

As an Elementary Education and English major, my career path is pretty set on becoming a teacher.  This means that my summers are left open for me to do a job I truly enjoy.  My heart and passion is and always has been with children.  At first, I considered the possibility of looking into an internship that involved in childhood education.  But, when I found myself faced with an opportunity I could not pass up, I jumped right on it. 

This summer I was a live-in, full-time nanny on Nantucket.  Yes, it was an incredible summer and quite the experience, but it was not all roses and daisies all the time.  First off, I lived with my employers.  Imagine that for a second: when I wanted my own space and my own time, I had to make it for myself.  Lucky for me, the family I worked for was very welcoming and understanding when it came to “me-time.”  But that is definitely something that people who are looking into a nannying job should consider.  I recommend meeting the family ahead of time to see if there is an initial connection and an agreement about parenting beliefs because at the end of the day, you are the employee and they are the employers.

When I took the job, I must admit, I was a little nervous what the rest of the BC community would think of me.  Living in such a competitive atmosphere, I knew there would be people who would look down upon a “simple babysitting job” over a summer internship.  But the more I thought about what people look for in an internship, the more I realized that I would be getting similar benefits from my nannying job.

I learned all about children, which in turn will become my main focus of work in the future.  I worked with the twin six year-old boys everyday on their reading and writing skills.  I also learned more about managing kids’ behavior.  I had to keep a two year-old girl and the twins under control the entire time we were at the pool or while we were playing at the park, both of which settings were quite chaotic.  I also was able to meet many people who could help me out in the future.  The networking on Nantucket Island was incredible.  The parents I worked for introduced me to many of their very successful friends and colleagues on the island and I formed relationships with them that could come in handy for the future.  

Overall, my nannying “internship” was successful.  I learned more about the career I will be going into in the future, made vital connections to potential employers, made money, and had an incredible experience on the island.  My advice: before this winter hits and the rush for the “perfect summer internship” is upon us once again, consider the other alternatives and possibilities that might be out there for you in the summer, you never know what you can find!

Photo Sources

My Instagram (@shanmotyka)

http://www.brisbanekids.com.au/list-of-pools-in-brisbane-for-kids/

http://fathomaway.com/guides/usa/nantucket/itineraries/what-to-do-in-nantucket-with-kids/

http://pitstopsforkids.com/2011/07/nantucket-with-kids-guide-to-beaches-and-biking/

Shannon is currently in her junior year at BC.  She is majoring in Elementary Education and English, hoping to one day teach in an urban school.  Originally from Hopkinton, MA, one of Shannon's favorite things to do is tell people that her hometown is the start of the Boston Marathon - it's claim to fame!  In her free time, you can find Shannon cuddled up somewhere with her adorable giraffe-spotted mug.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.