How to Workout Without Leaving Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You may have a killer playlist (if you don’t, check out my Running Playlist on our blog!) to get you motivated to work out, but if you’re stranded on CoRo like us, the trek to the Plex when it’s cold or snowy out is a workout in itself.  On the days that we just can’t bear the thought of walking all the way down to the gym, we have what we’ve dubbed the “Ronc Workout”.  It’s really about utilizing what’s available to you in the confines of your dorm.  For us, it’s the 5’ x 7’ space remaining in our room and the staircase, and while that may not sound like a lot, it is!  Read on to find out how to get a great workout in without leaving your dorm.

1.  Start with a warm up in your room

Get your heart pumping with a short cardio blast.  First do jumping jacks for 45-seconds, followed by 45-seconds of high knees.  Next do 45-seconds of squats and then 45-seconds jumping up and landing in a squat.  Finish with 45-seconds of butt kicks.  Don’t forget to rest for 15-seconds between each of these exercises.

2.  Stretch

Make sure you stretch before getting into the thick of your workout.  Stretching is known to improve flexibility and reduce the risk of injury.  Focus on all major muscle groups.

3.  Exercises using a desk chair

First do three sets of 12 Bulgarian squats.  Face away from the chair and extend your left leg back so that your foot is on the seat of the chair.  Dip down into a lunge on your right leg until your thigh is parallel with the floor.  Next jump up onto the chair, again, three sets of 12. Finally do three sets of 12 triceps dips.  Facing away from the chair, move your hands shoulder width apart on the seat.  Position your body so that your knees are bent, almost like you are sitting on an imaginary stool.  Straighten your arms out then slowly bend your elbows, lowering your body towards the floor until your arms reach a 90-degree angle.  Slowly push yourself back up to the original position.

4.  Stair cardio

Run up two flights of stairs three times.  Push yourself on the way up and jog back down.  If you are feeling ambitious, go for an extra flight or incorporate some light jogging across one of the floors in your dorm.  For example, run up two flights of stairs, jog down the hallway, go up another flight of stairs, jog down another hallway, and carefully jog back down to where you started.  Make sure you’re careful on the stairs and don’t wipe out!

5.  Abs

Start with a two-minute wall-sit, followed by one-minute side planks on both sides and a one-minute standard plank.  Repeat this loop three times.  If you’re capable, finish up with handstands against your door or against the wall outside your room.

For other exercises that you can do in your dorm, check out the fitness section of Pinterest, which has tons of muscle specific pins if you are trying to tone up in a specific area.  Also, check out workout videos on YouTube, such as 20-minute Pilates instructional videos.  Grab your sneakers and headphones, you’re officially ready for the Ronc Workout!

Sources:

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/815792/6-simple-indoor-exercises-1

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Do-Triceps-Dips-1055754

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.