How to Turn Your Boyfriend into a Fashionista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s no secret that girls go to great lengths to impress boys with their personal appearance.  Going out on a Friday night requires an extensive process of doing our hair and makeup, changing our outfit and shoes a few times, and sometimes even getting a tan or our nails done.  We put in so much effort, but for what purpose? Sure, it can be fun getting dressed up with our friends and, yes, sometimes the extra effort does get recognition. But why aren’t boys putting in the same amount of effort?  The highest expectations we have of them is that they take a shower and put on some deodorant.  But let’s get real – a guy who knows how to dress well definitely gets brownie points.

For those of us with significant others, we have the pleasure of having our own personal Ken dolls. We get to play dress-up with our boy toys and help our men perfect their maturing wardrobe at the same time. Make a date with your man to spend some time on Newbury Street and give his closet a makeover.

First, every guy needs a staple pair of great jeans.  I personally prefer ones with a dark wash because they go with everything and can be on the dressier side if necessary.  Make sure they fit your man comfortably – not too big and not too small either.  An awesome pair of jeans may come with a price tag that your boyfriend might not be into, but just remind him that jeans are an investment purchase and that he’ll be getting lots of use out of them for years to come.  Plus, it might not hurt to mention that his new purchase really shows off his assets…

The next item to add to his closet is a blazer.  Let your man have a little fun with this one.   Although a timeless navy or gray piece can be extremely versatile, there are some other funky looks out there that might catch the eye of your boyfriend’s inner fashionista.  Pastels, tartan, tweed – don’t be afraid to experiment a little!

Add a couple of sophisticated oxfords that can transition from day to night, some comfortable flannels for casual day-dates with his lovely stylist, and a simple, yet stylish sweater. Perfect additions for the upcoming fall weather.  Don’t forget that a crisp white button-down is an absolute necessity for any closet. Throw in a couple cool graphic tees and the update is almost complete.

A lot of guys don’t realize that the accessories they wear (or don’t wear) can make or break an entire outfit. Tell your man to ditch the puka shell necklace and invest in a watch that he can have for the rest of his life. The same rule applies for shoes.  Sure, Converse sneakers are fine for the weekends, but every guy needs a pair of dress shoes in his repertoire.  Also, try and coax him out of wearing those reflective bug-eye sunglasses he’s had since eighth grade and take a trip to the Sunglass Hut.  Encourage him to try on lots of different styles until he finds the right pair.  When he finds them, and he will, he’ll never take them off.

Finally, the pièce de résistance is a killer tie.  I think ties are the most underappreciated piece of men’s clothing.  Yes, traditionally ties are for formal occasions, but why not wear them on more casual days?   And if not a tie, how about a bow tie?  Bow ties are coming back hotter than ever and in tons of fun colors and patterns.  Have your boyfriend pick out some of his favorites to pair with his new outfits.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with mixing different patterns and textures – layering can lead to some of the most interesting and stylish outfits!  Also, if you’re looking for inspiration on how to style your boy, create a new board on Pintrest just for him.  The site has an entire section devoted to men’s fashion with lots of great ideas for him (and some eye candy for you).  Once your boyfriend’s makeover is complete, he’ll be so thankful to you for your expert advice. And hey, you might have even scored some new pieces to borrow for your own wardrobe, but I’ll have more to say on that in another article!

Photo Sources:
http://www.fashionbeans.com/2012/the-sports-jacket/
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5h1fcJc5g1rtmcbzo1_1280.jpg

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.