How to Survive When Your BFF is Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Starting the school year knowing my best friend, partner-in-crime, and soul sister would be far far away in the Latin Land of Ecuador, I had some major mental preparation to undergo. The other half of my #womance would not be tailgating, studying in O’Neil, or moderately burning at the Plex (aka watching New Girl while on a stationary bike) with me for a FULL semester. While we had a tearful goodbye in a Colorado airport, we’ve managed to maintain our snap-chat streak and obnoxiously long conversations even thousands of miles away.

How have we done it? Here’s a look at our Study Abroad (without Bae) Survival Guide. 

1. Keep Each Other Updated

We no longer see each other everyday, so separation anxiety has plagued me. While we don’t text each other everyday, we text each other at least every other day. Even if it’s a simple “Guess who I had dinner with?” or “Just wanted to say I miss you!”, it makes it seem like we are still a part of each other’s everyday life.

“Sunday Updates” are also a thing. Implement one day a week where you and your BFF send a quick synopsis of your weekly highlights. Aced your math test or got the number of that cute guy in theology class? Send it your girl’s way. 

2. FaceTime is Your Friend

While texting is the easiest way to stay connected, nothing beats FaceTime. We can’t talk on the phone (international calls are SO expensive), so video chatting is the next best option. 

3. Keep a Reminder in Your Room

It’s rather cliché, but I have multiple pictures of us plastered on the walls of my room. 

4. Send Snapchats and Facebook Videos

Snapchat is the fastest way to get that daily dose of your BFF. But nothing beats constantly tagging each other to Facebook videos and memes. We send so many Tasty videos to each other, I’m literally hungry all the time…

5. Watch the Same Netflix Show or See the Same Movie

Though we are miles apart, we can still create our fantasy football boards for The Bachelor. Whenever I watch The Great British Baking Show too, I’m reminded of our lazy Colorado days baking jam bars and listening to Paul Hollywood critique some good ol’ biscuits. Watching the same show easily gives you two a topic to discuss and a reason to catch up even when your schedules get hectic. 

6. Find Yourself a Semi-Replacement

While no one can possibly replace your BFF, no one wants to eat in Lower alone or show up to a party without a right-hand-woman. Reach out to your other friends! It’s the perfect time to build new relationships and get to know new people. Or, do what we did. Designate a friend to literally be your BFF’s replacement. (Mine is affectionately referred to as “Tessa 2.0.”)

7. Make Plans for Next Semester 

While my BFF is away now, she will arrive at BC come January. We’ve started a list of things we want to do together already (like sharing pitchers of margaritas on a Thursday night). Planning some future activities will give you two some things to look forward to.

8. Set Up Your Reunion (obviously)…

While I’m sure you and your BFF have your calendars marked, planning what you want to do the minute you are reunited is always fun. Obviously, you will hug and cry and then maybe cry some more, but will you just chill and share photos or get your nails done? Think it through! 

Hopefully some of these tips will be useful when your BFF is thousands of miles away. But remember, it is only temporary. 

(And, I will see you in California January 6th, Tessa!) 

California raised, cat loving, fashion dedicated 20something
Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!