How to Survive Co Ro

Before coming to BC, I could never have predicted that housing would consume my life second semester of freshman year. After being temporarily placed in Gonzaga (yes, we did get the last pick time), being moved across the street to Williams was the highlight of my summer. I must admit, though, I was nervous about being on Co Ro. I didn’t really know what to expect, but thus far I have been pleasantly surprised.

Roncalli, the face of College Road 

So collegiettes, I bestow upon you how you can make the best of your time on Co Ro (and for you freshmen, maybe this will ease your mind a bit when it comes time for housing!). It’s all about the attitude, and although Co Ro traditionally gets a bad rap, I think it’s time for us sophomores to change the student body’s perception of Roncalli, Welch, and Williams to a more positive one.

With the completion of Stokes Hall only a few short months away, I predict that those of us on Co Ro will get the most out of this promising new addition to campus. Being right across the street, we will be the first to reap all of the benefits of Stokes. Can you say Chocolate Bar? The outdoor amphitheater and the area in front of Stokes also promises a pseudo-quad space to meet new people and hang out. Are you stoked for Stokes? Because I am. Sorry… I had to.

We will welcome Stokes Hall in January 2013!

I encourage you to take advantage of Eagles at lunchtime – everyone eats here for lunch anyway (tuscan chicken, anyone?), but if you are in your room you can hop right down for a quick bite before going back to studying or watching “Gossip Girl” on Netflix. I would also like to take this time to note that here on Co Ro we have gained a hidden study gem. The empty skeleton of the old Chocolate Bar provides a surprisingly nice study space that’s close to the dorms but far enough to promote productivity. Try it! Seriously, it’s awesome.

Being close to class definitely has its perks. I don’t have to wake up and think about cramming into the Maloney elevators or climbing up the Million Dollar staircase. We can go to the Plex, eat in Lower, hang out with friends in Vandy and then come back to our quiet little neighborhood. Hannah Montana says it best: “You get the best of both worlds.”

Of course there are downsides, but we are a pretty tight-knit community up here. As evidenced by the recent barbeque (which included volleyball and some serious 90’s tunes), the area between Welch and Williams has potential. While the weather is beautiful, go outside and study, or take a break and lounge on the grass. This is a great way to rejuvenate and meet some other Coro-vians!

So, next time you think about what it would have been like to have that eight-man on lower, remember, we’ve got it good here on Co Ro.

Photo Sources:
http://www.therockatbc.com/2012/03/22/
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/newton/2010/07/bc_neighbors_want_parking_crac.html

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.