How to Prevent Getting Sick During Cold Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the colder weather there’s always a nice fresh wave of colds.  Whether you’re that person in class trying to hold in your sneeze or you’re the person squirming in your seat trying to get as far as possible from your classmate that won’t stop coughing during class, it can get very uncomfortable.  Plus, not feeling well even though you have a thousand things to do that day can get pretty tricky.  Here are some things to do to try not to get those nice colds.

Keep Your Hands Clean
A nice little bottle of hand sanitizer may be your solution to avoiding a cold.  Your hands get covered in germs during the day.  You might be that unfortunate individual that has to grab the doorknob right after someone placed their dirty, recently sneezed in hand on it.  Or you may very well be the person that does that…  Whatever the case may be, touching your face with unclean hands is a guaranteed way to getting a cold.  Avoid it by washing your hands constantly or using some nice smelling hand sanitizer.

Grab a Sweater
That outfit that you’re wearing that day may look cuter without another layer covering it.  But keep in mind that that outfit lasts for a day, whereas a cold will stay with you for a few days, a week, or even a month. Colds are no fun and neither is being cold while you’re walking from building to building. So, just remember better safe than sorry.

Don’t Make it Worse
Everyone does those certain activities that they know they shouldn’t do, but end up doing it anyways. Once you already have a cold try not to do anything to prolong it.  Going to the gym or going out one night when you’re clearly sick is probably not a good idea.  Remember you need to get better before you can get back to what you want to do.  Plus, the longer you’re sick the more likely it is that you will get someone else sick. Then they can get you sick again.  Just as the saying goes:  what goes around comes around.

Photo Sources:
http://healthintotality.blogspot.com/2010/07/covering-your-mouth-when-yo…

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.