How to Make School Feel Like Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The holiday season is without a doubt my favorite season. It starts with Halloween, goes on to Thanksgiving, and then wraps things up with Christmas and New Year’s. It is the perfect time to have some fun while thinking about what you’re grateful for. For me, holidays are especially important because of the quality time I can spend with my family. Being a Massachusetts native, it’s really easy for me to go home and see everyone. I do have a lot of friends, though, who can’t make it home for the smaller holidays. Luckily, being the expert of all things festive and cheerful, I have come up with five foolproof ways to make BC feel like home for the holidays!

1.  Decorate.

One of the best ways to get in the holiday spirit is by decorating your living space. This could be something as simple as a couple of strands of Christmas lights, or as intense as a Christmas tree. If you run to any party store, you can find tons of cute, cheap decorations. Decorating can be a little more difficult if you’re living on campus, but definitely take advantage of having a common room if you’re in a suite! If you’re off campus, you’re basically morally obligated to go all out. Don’t let me down.

My roommates put up fake cob webs by our breakfast nook for Halloween.

2. Use candles if you can.

Again, if you’re on campus you’re out of luck, but one of my favorite parts about being off-campus is finally being able to have fun scented candles! My housemates and I are all about them, and I am pretty sure there is nothing better than coming home after a long day and realizing your living space smells like heaven. There are a lot of awesome options to choose from during the holiday season, so go crazy. My personal favorite is caramel latte. Not exactly holiday, I know, but it smells like fall, which is totally the same thing.

3. Try to bake or cook.

I’m very partial to the off-campus life, but technically if you have a microwave, this can count. Baking is one of the best parts of the holiday season, and making a recipe that reminds you of home can stop homesickness in its track. If you only have a microwave, try some of the recipes on HC BC! They’re easy and delicious.

4. Make a playlist.

This is particularly relevant for Christmas. If you don’t have your Pandora set to Christmas music at all times during the holiday season, you’re not living your life. Sure, we all get a little annoyed when people get too ambitious (like that time my roommate yelled at me for playing my Country Christmas Station in October), but everyone has to celebrate in their own way.

5. Have friends over!

By “friends” I basically mean anyone you know/ tolerate who is also staying at school for the holiday. If you’re going to be alone, why not be alone together? Invite everyone over for a makeshift Thanksgiving potluck. That way you can spend time with people you care about, and you won’t miss being at home as much!

Photo Sources:

http://embracedisruption.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/cobwebs.jpg

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."