How to Make a Budget and Stick with It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Use an app or template that helps you visualize what you’re spending your money on.  I recommend the budget templates on Numbers.

Separate your budget into different categories including savings, a 401K, an emergency fund, groceries, rent/utilities, insurance, and fun stuff!

Don’t forget about taxes! The amount of money you write down as your income can’t be your pre-taxed income.

Budget different amounts based on the month (More for December because of Christmas, more for July because it’s your anniversary and significant other’s birthday, etc.)

Don’t buy things immediately. Give yourself the night to think about it and if you don’t find yourself absolutely needing it in the morning, don’t buy it.

Get a credit card with rewards points or cash back. I personally love American Express.

Always pay off your credit card balances early. If you can’t handle the responsibility of a credit card, don’t get one!

Limit the amount of cash you bring with you when you go shopping so you’re not able to spend more than you brought.

You’ll have a better idea of what your monthly expenses are after you track them for a couple of months.

If you spend under your budget, save the extra money for later.

And finally, don’t freak out if you go over budget sometimes! Life doesn’t always go exactly according to plan. Try not to worry about it! 

Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!