How to Land a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Being a summer camp counselor or a lifeguard has its summertime perks.  But if this summer you want to get down to business and land a summer internship, here are some tips!

STEP 1:  WHAT DO I LIKE?

What do YOU like to do?  What can you see yourself doing for an entire summer?  Make a list of things that you like to do and things that you absolutely would not like to do.

STEP 2:  BUILD THAT RESUME

Once you have this list narrowed down, put together a resume that correlates with those interests.  The BC Career Center is really great at assisting with this process.  Drop-ins are 20 minutes long and you can make appointments any day of the week!  You could even schedule a meeting with a Career Counselor for an hour to help you decide what exact path you are looking to take.

STEP 3:  TIME TO HUNT!

This is the fun part.  Search for every, and any, opportunity out there!  Be ambitious!  BC’s Eaglelink is a really helpful search engine that can direct you to companies that are seeking interns.  Put your name out there and apply!  Peter Hunt, a Career Counselor here at BC, says, “It’s never too late to apply!  New internships come up all of the time.  Many of the deadlines have passed, but that shouldn’t discourage you from searching!”

STEP 4:  MEETING FACE-TO-FACE

The companies have read your application and resume.  They liked it.  They want to meet you.  This is the “make or break” step in the internship hunt.  Will they like your personality?  InterviewStream on BC’s Eaglelink helps you prepare for that in-person or Skype interview on the horizon.  This online program allows you to simulate the interview via webcam!

STEP 5:  THE WAITING

You rocked the interview.  You sent a follow-up email thanking the interviewer in order to re-establish your interest in the job opportunity.  Now what?  This is often the most stressful leg of the hunt.  The homestretch.  It’s like when you take the plunge in a relationship.  You put yourself out there, you extended yourself, you made the effort to connect, and now you just wait for reciprocation.  You’re just hoping that they like you back!

STEP 6:  THE FINISH LINE
You did it!… Or you didn’t.  Either way, you worked hard to get to this point and you have found yourself throughout the process.  Whether you landed that dream internship at E! in LA or you got rejected from working at your local farmer’s market, you put forth the effort.

The truth is, it’s summer and you’ll have a great time with or without that summer internship!

Photo Sources:
http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/30433.png
http://salesjobinterviewguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/what-to-kno…

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.