How To Deal With Rejection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You know you go to an extremely competitive school when you have to apply in order to be considered to do community service.  I have had my share of ups and downs during the past few weeks and it has not been easy.  In fact, it has brought my self-esteem to an all time low and I honestly have not been myself lately.  Long story short, in my BC career I have been rejected from dance teams, acapella groups, and leadership positions; this past week I was rejected from not one, but two different organizations in less than three days.  You can only imagine how I felt. I always manage, however, to bounce back up and be better than I was before.  Whether you have been rejected from clubs, organizations, jobs, or internships I’m here to tell you that it’s all going to be okay.  Here are the life mottos that keep me going and most importantly, positive and smiling:

YOU are AMAZING

Never ever doubt your awesomeness.  You are truly a great person and you don’t need to validate yourself or your ability based on a decision that consisted of a ten-minute interview and/or an essay.  Although this seems fairly straightforward to remember, it happens to be the first thing we forget when rejected.  We start thinking that we are not good enough and our confidence level plummets.  I’m here to tell you that you should praise yourself and focus on all the great things you have accomplished.

NEVER take rejection PERSONALLY

But really, don’t.  It’s only going to consume you and you will start doubting everything that you think went wrong.  The most important thing to remember is that it is never you; it is always the situation at hand.  Don’t let rejection dishearten you.

Watch a FUNNY movie or a HILARIOUS TV show

My go-to movie when I’m sad is Legally Blonde, because no matter how good or how bad I’m feeling, it always makes me feel better and most importantly smile again.  Also, it reassures me that if Elle Woods can do it, so can I.  Great shows that always cracks me up are Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Modern Family, etc.  Any show that makes you forget about your current situation for a good half and hour is the perfect show.

ACCEPT it and MOVE on

There is honestly no better or weirder feeling than getting over something.  In order to do this, you need to ultimately deal with the situation by talking to someone about it, writing it on a journal or who knows even writing an article about it for Her Campus BC (hint, wink, LOL).  Doing this, will certainly make you feel so much better and will put your situation in perspective with every other problem in the world.  From a personal experience, after coping with rejection I finally feel like myself again: happy, energized, but most important confident in myself and in my abilities to take on anything.  Life…come at me.

Photo Sources:

sfshopgirl.blogspot.com

www.huffingtonpost.com

emergeintoyou.com

Viviendo poco a poco la mejor vida posible.