How To Be a BC Girl… According to BC Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Girls, have you ever noticed the tendency guys at Boston College have to assume we are all the same?  Sure, we often stereotype our males as all bros.  But many of these guys truly believe that we all dress, think, and act the exact same.  The default assumption is that we’re all Communication or Nursing majors, we’re all desperately searching for boyfriends, we’re all fake to our friends, we’re all jersey chasers, we all don’t actually understand sports… the stereotypes are endless.

I decided to survey some of these BC boys for the basic “just add water” steps to being a so-called typical BC girl.  When asked for some ridiculous stereotypes about BC girls, one male responded “But they are all the same.”  Another replied, “You know that every girl is a unique and beautiful individual.  That being said, most girls at BC tend to wear yoga pants on the reg.”  These guys think they have us completely figured out!  Even freshmen boys felt confident describing the mindset of all BC girls. 

It was both entertaining and terrifying to hear their honest generalizations come flooding in.  Here’s what they came up with:

What to wear

• Grab a pair of Hunter boots
  • Yoga pants (which, by the way, are God’s gift to men)
  • Northfaces
  • Ugg boots
  • J.Crew shirts
  • Dress really nice, even for regular class

What to do

• Sunrise Yoga.  Pilates.  Really anything involving group exercise.
  • Go to football games and leave at halftime
  • Pay for everything with daddy’s credit card
  • Buy a weekly pass to the nearest tanning salon
  • Eat Chobani like it’s your job
  • Raid the dining halls of the large Odwalla jugs to stock up on weekend chasers and mixers
  • Don’t eat dinner on Friday so you can save your daily calorie intake for those shots and chasers
  • Drink iced coffee
  • Be obsessed with fro-yo, especially Chill
  • Get drunk off of two shots of Rubi
  • Like Lil’ Wayne and think that means you like rap music
  • Hit the bars on Thursdays
  • Love hummus
  • Hit the ellipticals at the Plex (especially between New Year’s and Spring Break)

What to say/think

• Think an apple or Chobani constitute a full meal
  • “I don’t want my friends to think I’m a slut” attitude
  • “I’m good-looking enough to act like a b***h” attitude
  • “Let’s go to as many houses as possible in one weekend and be seen” attitude
  • “SCHOOL MATTERS SO MUCH!” attitude
  • Quote Mean Girls
  • Panicking when guys ask you on a date but being okay with hooking up to start something
  • If you’re a decently-looking freshman girl: “I have a boy from home.  It’s complicated though; we’re together but we’re not together.”
  • If you’re a junior girl: “I didn’t get a mod, but it’s ok, I’ll just blackout in my guy friends’ mods and then go back to my clean apartment.”
  • “I just don’t understand why he doesn’t like me.  I really thought he was the one.”
  • “Let’s go to Who’s.”
  • “I didn’t get into Who’s…”
  • “What mod is it again?”
  • “I love service; it makes me feel so good.”

I’ve got to admit, I was impressed with how perceptive these guys are.  But personally, I don’t know a single girl at BC that matches all of these descriptions.  I’m pretty sure this “typical BC girl” (according to BC boys) does not actually exist.  To help me find out, I’m going to survey the girls next.  If you’re a girl at Boston College, let us know what a “beautiful and unique individual” you really are!  Take this survey and stay tuned for the results!

Photo Sources:
http://www.flairvoyant.com/brands-for-styl/j-crew/
http://www.fussy-eater.com/2009/06/nice-place-to-chill.html

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.