Home for the Holidays: The Five People You Don’t Want to See But Inevitably Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For college students during finals week, going home is the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s the beacon of hope that we grasp on to so tightly. It means sleeping in a normal-sized bed, eating the snacks you forced your mom to buy, and skillfully avoiding folding your own laundry.   However, there are some low points you experience while you’re home, mainly consisting of seeing the people you’ve spent the last 4 years low-key dodging. The ones whose Instagram photos you only “like” if they involve domesticated animals. The people you silently reflect on that make you say, “Thank God I didn’t stay local for college.” 

These encounters could happen to you; we’re all potential victims. There are five different people you could come across.

1. Old Lady Next Door: The neighbor that never left, whose doorbell you definitely “Ding, Dong, Ditched”, says how nice it is to see you. Your mom has told her all about you during their run-ins at the mailboxes every so often. Finally, she asks, “So, how’s the job search going?” You casually say you’re figuring out life and then ask, “How’s your garden gnome?”

2. 5th Grade Love: You see the guy you used to IM in 5th grade at the local dive bar while out with your friends. He gives you a big, unwelcome hug and takes the liberty of adding you on Snapchats. He inevitably brings up your screen-name being “pnutbtrnkelly52” and how “young” we used to be. You nod and say something about those being the “glory days, am I right?”

3. Girl(s) You Hated in High School: You’re at the mall with your mom and you’re mid-scheme trying to convince her how much you “deserve” that sweater. That’s when you see her. The girl from high school that you purposely hid from your Newsfeed. She comes up to you, gives you AND your mom a hug, saying things like, “OMG! You look great-when do you go back to school? We have to get lunch before you leave. It’s always so good seeing you.” Lol, nope.

4. Girl Who You Used To Play Soccer With: You two haven’t seen each other since you both had braces. You can’t remember where she goes to college, so you vaguely ask how school is, hoping she’ll mention the name. Uncomfortably, she asks if you still play soccer and you slyly bring up the fact that no, you don’t play soccer, nor have you worked out in 3 weeks. The ending of the conversation has this awkward undertone of, “Well, bye! I might not ever see you again, but have a great life. You always had the coolest cleats.”

5. Your Cousin: It’s the cousin who came to the family Christmas part for the first time in 8 years. He keeps saying things like, “Wow, you can drink now!? This is soooo weird,” or, “I haven’t seen you since you got your license!” To both of which you kindly explain the process of aging and how you were unable to maintain your 13 year-old self despite your efforts to help him better adjust. Apologies.

These five people may epitomize everything you dread about going home, or maybe they make the best stories to tell your roommates. Either way, one of these encounters will happen to one of you. Good luck.

Photo Source:

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/little-girl-tries-lemon-first-time-funny-face

http://www.writtalin.com/lifestyle/ex-classmate-encounters-questions-avoid/

http://awkwardencountersinthedark.tumblr.com/

Born and raised in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Kelly is a Senior at Boston College studying Communications and Marketing. She loves the fashion and beauty industries. She's had lots of experience with women and their tastes, given her all-girls high school background. At BC, she's involved in Strong Women Strong Girls, Student Admissions Program, and is an account management intern for Hill Holliday . When she catches a break, Kelly spends an obscene amount of time on Buzzfeed, rewatching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and attempting to workout.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.