HC BC Happenings: Campus School Awareness Week 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The Boston College Campus School educates students aged 3 to 21 with multiple disabilities, including complex health care needs.  The program provides student-centered educational and therapeutic services in a school-based setting.  Using a transdisciplinary approach, student growth is achieved through the development of a stimulating environment and challenging instruction tailored to the needs of the individual.

The Campus School Volunteers make a difference in the lives of the students and their families throughout the school year with fundraising events, “Buddies” in the classroom, Eagle Eyes programs, literacy groups, special event parties, Broom Hockey tournament, and numerous other things.  Many of you may also know the Campus School for the Marathon team they form every year for the Boston Marathon, which gives runners training schedules, info sessions, practice runs, and pasta dinners!  Dance Ensemble shows also donate all the proceeds to the Campus School.

The presence of the Campus School students is a unique one for Boston College and the interaction between students of BC and students of the Campus School is truly amazing. The volunteers consist of a group of students here on campus.  It is during Campus School Awareness Week (March 26 – March 30) that they hope to raise awareness about the Campus School and quantitatively increase the connection between the students.

Come out and support the Campus School this week with a mix of fun and educational events.  Whether enrolled in the Campus School or Boston College, we are all Golden Eagles.

Monday: Panel Discussion on Special Education in America
Head Professor Richard Jackson, Campus School Program Director Don Ricciato, Special Education teacher Michael Harrington, and Occupational Therapist Karen Rocco discuss a variety of topics related to the current state of special education programs in the U.S.  There will be a Q&A session as well.

When: 7 PM (Event will last about 1 hour)
Where: Campus School (Campion Hall room 197)
Why: Learn about issues that are prevalent not only in the Campus School, but throughout our country from experts.  This will be a great discussion for all, especially those interested in Psychology, Sociology, Education, and Nursing.  Cookies and Lemonade!

Tuesday: Boloco Restaurant Night
Support the Campus School while enjoying a delicious dinner!

When: 5-8 PM
Where: Boloco in Cleveland Circle
Why: It is delicious, affordable Mexican food just a shuttle ride away!  The first 50 people to visit and make a donation will receive a Boloco gift card.

Friday: First Annual Campus School A Cappella Show
Three of BC’s most popular singing groups – The Acoustics, Against the Current, and the B.E.A.T.S. – will showcase their work in this FREE performance.  Come start your Friday night with some awesome entertainment.

When: 7:30 PM
Where: McGuinn 121
Why: BC A Cappella groups are AWESOME!  Plus, it’s FREE!  There will be a Bake Sale and all donations will go right to Campus School.

Weeklong: BC Dining Point Drive
Stop by to learn more about the Eagle Eyes program, a BC technology that allows individuals with disabilities to operate a computer using eye movements.  Donations will be taken to further advance to use of the program at the Campus School.

When: Lunch and dinner
Where: McElroy and Lower
Why: All proceeds go to Campus School.  Special note to those with meal plans: this is the time of year you may realize you have PLENTY of money to spend.

So please come out to the events, donate, and learn about Campus School here at BC.

New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady loves the Campus School, so why shouldn’t you?!

Can’t get enough Campus School?  Love to golf?  Keep this in mind….
The 16th Annual Campus School Golf Tournament is Monday April 30th at The Glen Ellen Golf Course.  Form a team of 4 or sign up by yourself to be paired up with other golfers.  $100 per golfer will get you a round of golf and delicious dinner!  There will be a raffle featuring autographed memorabilia, sports tickets, gift cards, and MORE!  Prizes for “Longest Shot,” “Closest to the Hole,” and “Tournament Overall Winner.”  For more information go to: http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/svp/st_org/csvbc/golf06_index.htm.

This past year Campus School Volunteers helped raise $132,000 for the Campus School through different events throughout the year.

Photo Sources:
http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/lsoe_sites/campsch/jpg/CS_Logo_2009.jpg
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4696726/brady-teammates-make-students-day
http://www.mobilaurus.com/boloco-unveils-new-ordering-app/
http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/campsch/involvement/students.html

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.