Goodbye, HCBC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Her Campus BC,

This is it, isn’t it? My final, last article…The last words I will put down on the Her Campus page as a Boston College undergraduate. Scary, isn’t it? Do you remember where we started, Her Campus, do you remember our beginning?

Before I was even a student on this campus, I was already engaged in your site. I would read your articles all the time trying to soak in anything I could about Boston College before I stepped on the campus in September. Hey, don’t judge me—I was just nervous. When I saw the application for that incoming fall, I knew I had to apply. I have always loved to write, loved to see my thoughts and emotions come across on the page, and I knew right then and there, that we were meant to be, Her Campus BC.

We’ve grown so much together as the years have gone by, four of them to be exact. I started off as just a writer; I would get in my required piece every week, and was just trying to get my feet wet. But soon, I was an Editor for two years and finally my senior year, the dream came true: I was Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent. The road certainly has not been easy; I’ve learned how to seriously balance my time and commitments, I’ve learned how ruthless other organizations and people can be at trying to tear us down, and I’ve learned how much time and dedication goes into something as important and huge as you, Her Campus BC. But as the years have gone by, I’ve become stronger in my voice, my writing, and ultimately in my role as an individual on the Boston College campus.

Her Campus BC, do you see how much I have grown? I have learned how to lead, how to speak in front of a group without my voice shaking, how to be confident in my own voice and opinion, and ultimately I have learned more from my fellow team members than I could have ever imagined. Few things have made me prouder than to help lead this organization to be as successful as it is right now. As an underclassman, I always looked up to those who led Her Campus BC for their advice and leadership, and it still amazes me that I have been so lucky for the last year to be filling their big shoes. It’s been a journey from Day 1 of my first Her Campus meeting to now my very last article. I’ll never forget filling out the Google Form to apply for Her Campus BC that incoming summer. I’ll never forget when my first article ever “Newton Girl Problems” was the most read article on campus that week. And I’ll certainly never forget receiving the email saying that I was the new Editor-in-Chief. Her Campus BC, I hope you never forget me either.

So thank you, Her Campus BC, for helping me discover my voice. Thank you for giving me an outlet to express whatever it was that was on my mind and for giving me the sanity that I often needed during my ups and downs these past four years. I will forever love that I had the opportunity to run such a great organization and to meet such amazing and driven young women. Thank you for making me even closer to one of my best friends, Emily, and for helping us tackle this adventure together. I could not have done any of it without her; she truly is my rock. Thank you for the wine nights, the bonding events, the snacks at meetings, the dozens of articles, and the endless memories. I will miss you dearly. HCXO forever.

HCXO,

Blake

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.