Get Involved with BC Splash!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Looking for a new club to join this semester?  BC Splash might be for you!  Unlike other activities, it’s not a huge time commitment, so it’s easy to tack on to the busiest of schedules.  Contribute just a few hours of your time, and you’ll get the opportunity to do something truly rewarding: teaching your passion to high school students! 

BC Splash is a program that brings around 600-1000 local high school students to campus for one day, where they get to take classes designed by BC Students.  Anyone can volunteer to be a teacher, and once you’ve signed up, you can create a class about anything you want!  Whether you love math, music, or Harry Potter, BC Splash is interested; classes are all about balancing academics and creativity.  This is a great opportunity for Collegiettes interested in becoming teachers, obviously, but anyone would get a lot out of this experience.  Not only do you get a chance to explore your passion in a completely new way, but you also get to share it to a class full of interested high schoolers!  Best of all, you’re giving your students a whole new spin on learning, so you have an opportunity to inspire students who maybe have not had the best classroom experiences.

Becoming a teacher isn’t as daunting a task as it sounds.  In order to teach a class for BC Splash, you just have to come up with a lesson plan, spend one hour in volunteer training, and then show up to teach!  If that’s not your thing, though, you can spend the day as a leader for the high school students, helping them get around campus, get comfortable with the college setting, and generally just being there to hang out with them.  If you want to interact with the students, but you aren’t sure about teaching, this is a great way to get involved.  For people with less time to work with, you can also volunteer to help out with check-ins and other stations, which only takes an hour or two.

This semester, BC Splash will take place on Sunday, November 17th.  Teacher registration is now open and runs until October 4th; volunteer sign-ups are available through the BC Splash Facebook page.  If you have any questions, email bcsplash@gmail.com.

Photo Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/pages…

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum