A Freshman’s Guide to Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For freshmen, breaking out of the “BC Bubble” can be extremely difficult. Thankfully, HC BC has your guide to the best places to go in Boston.

Newbury Street

No matter what you’re looking for, Newbury Street probably has it. Restaurants, shopping, ice cream, you name it, it’s there. And getting to Newbury Street is so simple: take the green line to Hynes Convention Center and walk a couple of blocks.

Fenway Park

Whether or not you’re a Red Sox fan is irrelevant: there’s so much history packed into Fenway that it’s a Boston staple. So grab a Sox hat and a Fenway Frank and sing along to Sweet Caroline…you’ll feel like a Bostonian in no time.

Boston Common

Nap in the grass, take a Swan Boat ride in the summer, or skate on Frog Pond in the winter. Head in to Boston Common for a relaxing afternoon off-campus. Bring your homework so you can pretend to be productive.

Harvard Square

This one’s a bit harder to get to (transferring to the red line is sort of a pain), but so worth it. There are a ton of restaurants and cute little shops, plus the Sinclair concert venue, the American Repertory Theater, and Harvard University. You can also go kayaking from a few places near there!

Museum of Fine Arts

The MFA is a great place to go to feel cultured, and they offer free admission for college students. Take your friends and look at some cool artwork while sipping your Starbucks.

Faneuil Hall

A tried and true classic. Not only is this spot packed with restaurants, shops, and outdoor seating, it’s also a historical hub of Boston. Hit up Cheers (where everyone knows your name), Dick’s (where you’ll stay for the food, not the service), or the Hard Rock Café (if you’re lucky, you’ll catch a show while you’re eating).

So there you have it, freshmen. These are the best places to spend your free (non-football game) weekends this semester!

BC Senior, Future High School Teacher. Lover of laughing, Diet Coke, friends and family, pandas, peanut butter, and the BCMB.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.