Favorite Flicks: Top 10 Basketball Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So March Madness is almost over and you kinda sorta missed the entire thing.  I mean, not that you didn’t want to watch, you were just busy with homework and other very important things.  Alright, let’s be serious.  March Madness definitely appeals to the boys a little more than to the girls.  As a pretty avid sports fan, I even find it hard to make time for March Madness games. 

To be completely honest, watching that much basketball can get a little boring.  On the other hand, movies about basketball definitely succeed in holding my attention.  In honor of the approaching end of the NCAA tournament, I’ve provided you a list of my top 10 favorite basketball movies, separated by genre.

Chick Flicks:

1.     John Tucker Must Die (2006)
Who says basketball movies can’t involve a hot male lead, multiple shirtless scenes, and a kick-ass soundtrack?  Although basketball may be on the backburner in this cute flick, John Tucker definitely makes the sport a little more interesting.  And the “other Tucker” isn’t too bad either…

2.     Love & Basketball (2000)
In my opinion, a classic.  The love thread that weaves throughout the movie is quirky and endearing.  Plus, Monica’s skills are enough to make any guy jealous.  Girl’s got game.

Disney:

3.     Double Teamed (2002)
Who doesn’t love a Disney Channel Original?  This true story of Heidi and Heather Burge empowers women to do what they love and never take no for an answer.  With hard work and a little luck, anything is possible.

4.     The Luck of the Irish (2001)
Speaking of luck, this movie is full of it.  Disney Channel cutie Ryan Merriman (from the ever-popular Smart House), plays a talented Irish basketball player whose game is thrown for a loop when he loses his lucky coin.

Family:

5.     Air Bud (1997)
Probably one of my favorite movies from
my childhood, it’s hard to resist the furry face of the Golden Retriever Buddy.  This movie made me laugh, cry, and even beg my parents for a puppy.  Buddy’s friendly personality and impressive skills on the court definitely captured my heart.

6.     Space Jam (1996)
“Everybody get up it’s time to slam now, we got a real jam goin’ down, welcome to the Space Jam…”  Killer pump up song, Bugs Bunny, and adorable little alien creatures, Space Jam is easily one of the most entertaining movies on the list for people of any age.  I mean, it’s Michael Jordan, c’mon people.

7.     Like Mike (2002)
MJ shows up again in this film, but only as initials on the pair of sneakers that a young orphan finds and which turn him into a basketball superstar.  It’s nice to see Bow Wow back when he was still “Lil.”  And we can’t forget that basketball was his favorite sport.  He liked the way they dribbled up and down the court.

A little more basketball, a little less fluff:

8.     Coach Carter (2005)
I’ll ease you into the more serious basketball movies.  Eye candy Channing Tatum does play in this movie as a member of Samuel L. Jackson’s (or Coach Carter’s) basketball team.  The movie can be intense at times but comedy throughout helps lighten the mood.

9.     Glory Road (2006)
I’ll admit it, I’m a sucker for true sports movies.  Like Coach Carter, Glory Road has a serious plot line with comedic relief throughout.  It tells the famous story of the first all-black starting lineup college team and the most important game in NCAA history.

10.  Hoosiers (1986)
Don’t be turned off by a slightly older film.  Hoosiers is a classic and probably the best basketball movie of all time.  I still get goose bumps when the coach takes a measuring tape to the court before the big game.

Well, there you have it – my top 10 favorite basketball movies.  Some may be more basketball-intensive than others, but they’re all great on a lazy afternoon or rainy Sunday.  Enjoy!

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.