Endangered Species Caught on Campus: Couples!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Valentine’s Day is approaching and we all know what that means – those adorable couples that stroll around campus holding hands are going to start appearing everywhere. As February 14th nears, we can’t help stare at those rare couples with a sort of envious admiration. When we were kids, Valentine’s Day was dedicated to building valentine boxes and handing out candy and cards to all of our classmates, and occasionally a special one for our crush. Now, Valentine’s Day reminds us that couples are essentially an endangered species at BC.

Hook-up culture is not unique to Boston College, but it is prevalent on campus. To some people, it may seem like there is no hope for a Valentine, a date, or even a box of chocolates. Some people out there might think that the hook-up scene seems old and overrated, and with a holiday meant for people in relationships quickly approaching, Valentine’s Day looks pretty bleak.

There’s some statistic that BC students love to throw around, that something like over 60% of BC students meet their spouses here. Like last year’s article, I’m here to tell you to put the cynicism behind you because we found a few of the endangered couples on campus, and they’re here to bring you hope that dating does exist at BC.

Author’s Note: This is not to say that we can’t be happy without a relationship. Being single is equally as great and fulfilling.

Here are the couples we thought we’d share with you!

Meet Marissa and Townshend!

How did you meet?

Marissa – We met while watching the Wings and the Blackhawks in the NHL playoffs this summer. I went to my friend’s place to watch the Wings. His roommate, Townshend, was a Blackhawks fan. We started out as rivals. 

Townshend – Cup to Chicago. She’s not bitter.

How long have you been together?

Marissa – We met in May, but we started dating in July. We celebrated the 4th of July weekend at Martha’s Vineyard with friends, and he asked me to be his girlfriend on the beach there. It was really cute and gross.

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Marissa – Force Townshend to use hand sanitizer on his feet because they smell.  Townshend – Firstly, she asks me nicely to “sanitize” my feet.  Secondly, to be honest, we’re still new to this whole “on-campus dating” game. We met over the summer, and then Marissa ditched me for Italy. Terribly inconsiderate, I know. We’ll get back to you once we have something better than Disney movies and naps.

Advice for people wanting more:

Marissa – Don’t force it. That’s cliché, but I think it’s the truth. The right person will come along. Don’t waste energy on the people that don’t fulfill the requirements.   Townshend – The first step is recognizing you want more. The second step is remaining firm to that conviction. I’ve heard plenty of people mention wanting more than the hook-up culture at BC, but then go out on the weekend on the prowl. Once you’re truly ready for something with substance, you’ll be open to opportunities as they arise. And they will. You just have to make sure you’re looking in the right places, for the right reasons.

Famous couple you think represents your relationship:

Shrek and Fiona (Marissa and Townshend, respectively)

Song that represents your relationship:

Any song we can sing together because we tend to like to show off.

[pagebreak]

Meet Katie and Brett!

How did you meet? 

Brett – Believe it or not, we met in the mods!

Katie – I was a freshman, and he was a senior living in Strip Mod. We met two years ago at a Mardi Gras themed Mod party. He says that I snuck into that party, but I knew a guy who knew a guy! That semester, we’d see each other in the Mods (and awkwardly run into each other at 10:15 mass the next day). We eventually started talking more and kept in touch the summer after Brett graduated. He asked me out the day I moved back to BC my sophomore year.

How long have you been together?

A year and a half

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Shea Tailgates

Favorite thing to do off campus:

Katie – Eat at Regina Pizzeria in the North End. 

Brett – Go to Red Sox games.

Thoughts on the hook-up culture at BC:

Katie – I don’t think that the so-called “hook-up culture” is anything unique to BC. That being said, I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that if you are hooking up with someone, you need to be honest with him or her.  It can be very disappointing if two people aren’t on the same page and have different expectations.

Advice for people wanting more:

Katie – Sometimes it’s scary to go up and talk to someone, but why should it be scary? If you don’t hit it off, you never have to talk to that person again. If you do hit it off, you may have a new friend, or maybe even something more! That’s the thing about being at a school this size; there are thousands of people here your age. Go talk to them!

Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley

Song that represents your relationship:

We Found Love (In a Hopeless Place)”

[pagebreak]

Meet Sarah and Mark!

How did you meet?

Mark – We met while we were abroad in Florence, Italy.  

Sarah – After a week or so, we kind of just hit it off. Mark was quite the romantic as well, showing me all the hidden gems of the city. When our program moved to Parma, we made an effort to keep seeing each other. Even though we lived on opposite sides of the city, we biked to see each other often, and traveled together on the weekends.

How long have you been together?

Officially 3 months and 2 weeks.

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Getting lunch in the Rat and just catching up on life.

Favorite thing to do off campus:

Sarah – Can cuddling be an option? But really, just spending time cooking and watching movies together.

Mark – Watch The Bachelor Monday nights, go into Boston, visit various European cities…

Thoughts on the hook-up culture at BC:

Sarah – We kind of had the advantage of being away from it while we were abroad. I think it gets old after awhile.

Mark – The pleasure of a hook-up doesn’t last and it’s not as fulfilling as a relationship. It can seem like the only option sometimes, but there’s more out there if you make the effort.

Advice for people wanting more:

Sarah – Stick with it. I know this sounds cliché and cheesy but relationships really do come when you are least expecting/wanting them. I was excited for a carefree semester abroad and everything changed when I met Mark.

Mark – Just be approachable because you never know what the other person is thinking and you wouldn’t want to close yourself off from a great opportunity.

Sarah – Harry and Sally from When Harry Met Sally.

Mark – Lizzie McGuire and Gordo – we were in Italy after all.

Song that represents your relationship:

Sarah – “Wrecking Ball”… not that that really represents our relationship, but we listen to that song a lot. It’s pure musical genius, am I right Camilla Creatura and all of my fellow Parmesans?

Mark – “I Need Your Love” by Ellie Goulding

[pagebreak]

Meet Sarah and Jerry!

How did you meet?

We met in 6th grade, but didn’t become friends until 9th grade.

How long have you been dating?

A little over 2.5 years. We started dating the summer after we graduated high school.

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Having picnics by the Res when the weather isn’t so cold.

Favorite thing to do off campus:

Dinner in the North End, with Mike’s Pastry for dessert!

Thoughts on the hook-up culture at BC:

Sarah – Personally, I haven’t ever been a part of it, but I don’t think that it would be for me because I would much rather be in a meaningful relationship.  

Jerry – Sarah says I wouldn’t like it… But in all seriousness it seems overrated. It seems that people put too much pressure on themselves to find someone to hook up with every weekend, and it prevents them from just having a good time.

Advice for people wanting more:

Jerry – Take someone out on a good old-fashioned date and stop looking for someone in a Mod or at a party in a basement.

Sarah – Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Find a way to meet new people who share similar interests as you, and don’t be afraid to start out as friends… it worked for me!

Sarah – Hermione and Ron… We have known each other forever, we were best friends at first, and we liked each other for a while before we actually started dating. Jerry is also pretty oblivious, just like Ron. 

Jerry – First off, I don’t look like Ron… But maybe Chandler and Monica. We had the same group of friends in high school, no one laughs at my jokes (ever) and Sarah always needs to have a plan.

Song that represents your relationship:

“Crazy Girl” by Eli Young Band

[pagebreak]

Meet Kristin and Jonny!

How did you meet?

Kristin – Relay for life freshman year. I knew there was something good about the kid in the red shirt. 

Jonny – Sparks flew and emotions ran high and we’ve been together ever since.

How long have you been together?

A year and a half.

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Kristin – Gelato at the Chocolate Bar. The Dolce de Leche is pretty irresistible. 

Jonny – Getting a bowl of gelato at the Chocolate Bar really gets the blood pumping and the intellectual juices flowing.

Favorite thing to do off campus:

Kristin – TAPAS! 

Jonny – Go into the city and grab super chili cheese dogs from Hot Dog Heaven. Really sets the mood for me and my boo.

Thoughts on the hook-up culture at BC:

Kristin – It’s definitely a huge part of BC, but it isn’t for everyone. It isn’t the only way to have fun. People get caught up in it, but there are plenty of opportunities to go another way.   

Jonny – Hooking up with random girls was a ton of fun… and then I turned 12.

Advice for people wanting more:

Kristin – Don’t get frustrated. Sometimes things and people surprise you.  

Jonny – It’s not about what you do, it’s about who you’re with.

Kristin – Carmelo Anthony and Lala. 

Jonny – Lloyd Christmas and Mary Swanson. Some say Kristin and I go together like lamb and tuna fish.

Song that represents your relationship:

Kristin – “My Boo” by Usher. 

Jonny – “C.R.E.A.M.” by Wu Tang Clan. An absolute no brainer.

[pagebreak]

Meet Gabby and Zander!

How did you meet?

Zander – We met at an audition for a comedy group on campus early freshman year. I saw her in the middle of the room and felt like talking, so, naturally, I asked her where the bathroom was. She told me; then, I went to the bathroom. Then I came back and we hit it off for the rest of the night. Best icebreaker ever.

How long have you been together?

A little over 2 years now.

Favorite thing to do on campus:

Gabby – After that fateful moment of bathroom curiosity, we ended up joining the same comedy group (The CCE! We meet Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9 in Devlin 026 and you should come). There’s so many of us that we all get to play the audience for a good portion of the night, and he always has me laughing like crazy.

Favorite thing to do off campus:

Zander –  Hm. Chipotle, White Mountain, other food-eating places. Weirdly enough, we only just recently saw our first movie in theaters together?

Thoughts on the hook-up culture at BC:

Gabby – You gotta do what you wanna do. If you just want the D, you just want the D. But I found myself wanting more of the Z. But in all seriousness, I only have a problem with the hook-up culture when people get involved in it just because they think that’s the only way to meet guys/girls. Ask someone on a date! Dating has all the thrills of hook-up culture without the usual messy emotional blob of confusion. 

Zander – Enjoy syphilis.

Advice for people wanting more:

Gabby – Get a pet! 

Zander – Hm. If you can honestly tell yourself that you want more, then you’ll go for it. If not, then you won’t. Happiness above all.

Gabby – Aragorn and Arwen. This Christmas I gave him Immortality Tea…aka… Immortali-tea! Also, because they are attractive and really awesome. 

Zander – The Little Prince and the Flower or Donald Chang and Jillian Lawler.

Photo Sources:

The lovely couples.

http://elk2.com/disney-couples-toy-story-3-ken-and-barbie.html

Briana is a junior at Boston College studying abroad in Parma, Italy. She studies English and Italian. She loves books, clothes, and country music. Add her on twitter @brigalita !!
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."