Drink Up: Mardi Gras Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

BC might be 1500 miles away from the Mardi Gras capital of the world, New Orleans, but that doesn’t mean we can’t bring some of that Creole spirit up north!  One of the easiest ways to celebrate in true New Orleans fashion is by mixing up some classic, southern cocktails.  From whiskey to vodka, these four drinks are sure to spice up any and all Fat Tuesday celebrations. 

Hurricane:
As the signature drink of Mardi Gras, this cocktail has to be good.  The idea behind the cocktail is that it numbs you before the storm hits.  To truly get in the New Orleans mindset, we suggest drinking from a traditional hurricane glass and decorating your drink with a colorful straw and paper umbrella!

1 ½ ounces Kentucky Bourbon whiskey
1 ½ ounces sweet and sour mix
1 ½ ounces orange juice
1 ½ ounces pineapple juice
Splash of grenadine

• Fill a hurricane glass (or any fun drinking receptacle) with ice.
  • Add all ingredients to the glass and stir.
  • Garnish with an orange wedge and a cherry. Enjoy!

Red Snapper:
This cocktail originates from the French Quarter, the oldest neighborhood in the city of New Orleans.  Like the name suggests, this drink is strong and snappy – a perfect concoction to indulge in before Lent begins.

½ ounce Whiskey
½ ounce Amaretto
½ ounce cranberry juice

• Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice.
  • Strain and garnish with a lemon wedge.

Madras:
The Madras cocktail is similar in tasted to a Cosmopolitan, but packed with even more cranberry flavor.  It is easy to make and a guaranteed crowd pleaser.  Bartenders will be mixing up more of these babies than they can count on Fat Tuesday this year! 

1 cup ice cubes
2 ounces Vodka
4 ounces cranberry juice
½ ounce orange juice

• Fill a tall glass with ice. Pour in vodka.
  • Fill glass to ¾ full with cranberry juice.
  • Top with orange juice.
  • Stir and enjoy!

Mardi Gras Punch:
Planning on throwing a Mardi Gras party with all of your friends?  Punch is definitely the way to go.  It will keep all your guests happy, while acting as a festive bar centerpiece.  This recipe combines the traditional colors of Mardi Gras – green, gold, and purple – to create a deliciously sweet libation.

40 ounces grape juice
48 ounces pineapple juice
2 liters Sprite
2 oranges
2 limes
Fifth of Vodka

• Slice oranges and limes in thin round slices. Set aside.
  • Place ice (either regular ice or homemade juice ice) in a punch bowl.
  • Add juices, soda, and vodka to the bowl. Stir together.
  • Float orange and lime slices on top before serving.

Sources:

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/824893/mardi-gras-cocktail-recipes

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/mardi-gras-punch

http://gallery.yourtango.com/gallery/Mardi_Gras_Our_5_Favorite_Cocktail_Recipes

http://www.miami.com/sites/migration.miami.com/files/images/mardi-gras-_-hurricanes.jpg

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.