Doing the Impossible: Packing Lightly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You know those people in movies who suddenly completely remember that they are going on an international tour to Europe in a few hours and can pack everything quickly into one bag? That is definitely not me. And you know those people who can shove just the right amount of clothes and all the necessities into a sleepover bag within 2 minutes and can be out the door in five? Yeah, that isn’t me either. I can confidently say that I have never packed the right amount. No matter the vacation, travel, or length of voyage, I can never pack the right quantity.

The last few years, I wondered why I was so bad at packing. I always wait to the last minute and I can never leave with a light load. I always knew I had difficulty packing, but until I got to college, I couldn’t find the root of my problem.

However, starting with Thanksgiving break, I carried an unusually large backpack. I decided to bring home every single textbook and every single notebook that I owned; my chemistry and psych book being two of the heaviest, in combination with my laptop. And you know what? I didn’t even open half of them! But I’m just gonna blame that on a rookie freshman mistake.

Then winter break…man, I think I took most of my dorm room with me. I took a huge suitcase home. I mean big enough that I could comfortably fit it in. And you know what? I lived in the same pair of sweat pants for basically half the time home and didn’t even wear two-thirds of what I packed.

Spring break, I went to visit my brother abroad so packing was an even greater challenge. The weather in Quito was a nice, breezy 60 degrees but the weather in the Galapagos Islands, was in the high 80s, so I needed to pack for both occasions. Obviously, this led to over packing and a huge strain in my back from having to lug it around the airport and a giant rip in my duffel for being too heavy, but I guess that’s just karma.

By Easter break, you would think I would learn. But there I was, my ambition self, packing way too many academic materials and my indecisive self, packing about five different possible outfits for the holiday.

So, next time I have something to pack for, I need to really question (and be honest) with myself…

1) Will I wear this? In short, will I actually stop being a bum and try to dress nicely? Uh, probably not…the black wedges and three dresses can stay.

2) Should I bring my textbook(s) home? AKA will I actually want to do work when I’m home? Depending on the length of the break, probably not, but to motivate myself, I can bring just one subject.

3) Is this a necessity? Am I really going to use a raincoat, a curling iron, three different jackets, Band-Aids, unreasonably fancy clothes, four inch wedges…No.

4) Can I live without this? Most likely, yes, so don’t pack it.

So next time your really trying to do the impossible and “pack lightly,” ask yourself: Are you really going to read your book for lit, do your lab write up for orgo, and finish all your calc problems? And are you really going to wear all four pairs of jeans, your two different winter coats, some sweatshirts, and going-out shoes. Let me answer it for you. No, you won’t.

Sources:
Adrianna is a freshman majoring in psychology on a pre-med track at Boston College. She is really passionate about health and fitness and is trying to make it in Boston as a New York Sports fan. She can be found yelling at the TV a little too loudly when hockey is on, eating honey crisp apples, drooling over dylan o brien, or convincing people, that despite her 5'0 height, she is really 18 years old.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.