Cross-Ocean Interview: British Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s been awhile since we touched base with our sister chapter across the pond. Sam and Sheetal, the girls of Her Campus Nottingham, are back in action to answer our questions about British music. You never know, you might just discover your favorite new artist after reading through the interview!

1. Who are your favorite British singers and/or bands?

Sheetal: I’m really loving Bastille at the moment!

2. What are your thoughts on One Direction? What about The Spice Girls?

Sam: I love the Spice Girls! I had their official album when I was little and I treasured it – it’s all falling apart now because it went everywhere with me! I dressed up as Geri Halliwell for a fancy-dress bar crawl this year! I’m indifferent to One Direction. Some of their songs are quite good and we have a really cheesy nightclub in Nottingham that plays One Direction and everyone goes crazy! I don’t like how people obsess over them though – I’m definitely not one of their adoring fans!

Sheetal: I agree. I had The Spice Girls’ album on cassette tape and the poster and everything! Wouldn’t say I had a problem with One Direction so much, but their fans… wow.

3. What is the best concert you have ever attended in England?

Sam: I’ve actually mostly seen American artists in big arenas like the 02 in London. Rihanna and Lady Gaga were probably the two that most stood out! I also saw Ed Sheeran when he did a small gig at a venue in my hometown. It was so good because it was really personal as the room was small and there were probably only about 100 people there.

Sheetal: I’ve seen Ne-Yo, Bruno Mars, David Guetta to name a few… gutted I missed out on Justin Timberlake tickets this year though!

4. What songs are typically played at clubs and bars when you go out?

Sam: It depends where you go – we have some really music-specific nights. For example, there are quite a few nights where they only play House dance music, and these are quite popular. Then there’s a club called Bodega where they’ve recently had artist-specific nights. For example, I went to the Beyoncé night where they played an hour of non-stop Beyoncé. A lot of clubs will play chart music, British and American, combined with old classics like “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers. A famous tune in Nottingham is the Baywatch soundtrack which is played in a really cheesy club called Ocean. Everyone is supposed to take their top off and swing it around their head when this track comes on!

5. If you had to choose your favorite British song of all time, what would it be?

Sam: That’s difficult! I really like Pete Doherty’s “Last of the English Roses” or “I am the Rain.”

Sheetal: Of all time? Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Just amazing.

6. What singing competitions do you have in England, besides The X Factor?

Sam: There’s one called The Voice, which is quite similar to The X Factor. I’m not really sure how it works because I don’t watch it though!

Sheetal: The Voice is cool. I think it started in the U.S. actually! I like the fact that they can’t see the person the first time they hear their voice – it’s so original and it means it focuses purely on the talent!

7. Is A Capella popular? If so, are there any famous A Capella groups?

Sam: Not that I’m aware of – but I do like it!

8. Growing up, was there specific children’s music that you listened to?

Sam: Kids tend to listen to the cheesy end of chart music rather than having specific music for children. I remember at school discos they always used to play songs like the “Macarena,” “Cotton Eye Joe” and “5, 6, 7, 8” by Steps. Music you could dance to was always the most popular!

Sheetal: I don’t know if it’s classed as ‘children’s music,’ but Steps and S Club 7 were huge. Then you get all the cheese like “Agadoo” and the “YMCA.”

]

It seems like pop music isn’t too different across the pond! Well, maybe except for the popularity of the Baywatch soundtrack. I’m pretty sure you won’t find any Americans ripping off their tops and dancing to Baywatch music! Stay tuned for upcoming collaborations with the fabulous girls of HC Nottingham!

Image Sources:

Sam & Sheetal’s personal photos

http://www.londonvenueguide.com/02-dome.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s154/the-voice-uk/news/a401729/the-voice-uk-live-shows-to-be-cut-back-spinning-chairs-increased.html

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum