Crazy for Shwayze: Homecoming Concert Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

College is known to be a time when you find out who you truly are and what you’re passionate about. During these four years, you’re required to ask yourself a multitude of questions about what it is you really want, and what you are going to do to get it. But one question I did not expect to have to ask myself is “how long would I would be willing to wait in the basement of Lyons Hall to meet one of my favorite artists?” The time to ask that question did come, however, Thursday, October 16th, when I waited outside the Rat for about three hours before the homecoming concert starring the rapper Shwayze to ensure that I would be first in line and that I would get a chance to meet him. As a fiercely loyal fan since 2008, I was definitely NOT disappointed.

Before the concert even started, Shwayze made his Boston College fans happy by doing an impromptu photo-taking session outside Lyons. He even gave his hat to one lucky fan when he heard how long she had been waiting (can you guess who it was?). Once the doors opened, concert-goers were treated to an opening set by William Bolton, the current BC junior singer/songwriter who also goes by the name Times New Roman. He pumped up the crowd with songs such as “Summer Breeze” and “Let’s Stay Together.” He also performed a remix of Kid Cudi’s college-kid anthem “Pursuit of Happiness.” Once he wrapped up his set, the energy in the air was palpable. It was time for Shwayze.

Could you tell I was slightly excited to be wearing his hat?

Shwayze, a native of Malibu, played a one-hour set that included a wide variety of his songs both old and new. He also performed a pretty even balance between chill, beach-vibe songs and faster dance tracks. The rapper, otherwise known as Aaron Smith, started with the song “Bolt” from his 2012 EP Shwayzed and Confused, before playing some tunes from earlier albums. His set included “Livin’ It Up” and “Sally Is A…” from his 2008 album Let It Beat, but he truly got the crowd moving with his hit Get U Home from the same album. From his 2011 album Island in the Sun, he performed the title track, and upbeat love song Drunk Off Your Love. He even knelt down and sang to one extremely lucky fan while holding her hand, who had to hold back tears. (It was me.)

Proof that dreams do come true.

Shwayze also performed some hits from his most recent album, Shwayze Summer, such as “How I Want It” and “Better Than Most Loves.” He closed with the classic old-school Shwayze jams “Buzzin’” and “Corona and Lime.” It was his encore, however, that truly ended the concert on the best note possible. He engaged in a back-and-forth singalong with the crowd to his anti-relationship anthem “Love Is Overrated,” which he recorded on his cell phone. Following the concert, he made an appearance at CAB’s Pub Series in Hillside Café. I might be slightly biased, but Shwayze’s concert was a night of nonstop singing, dancing, and fun that I would do all over again if I could – three hours in line and all.

Victoria is a sophomore in CSOM at Boston College, majoring in Business Management with a Marketing concentration. She is also involved in the Student Admission Program and is a freshman mentor for the Compass Fellowship. When she's not at BC, you'll find her spending her days on the sand in her hometown of Rockaway Beach, a suburb of New York City. She enjoys going to concerts, traveling, watching Gossip Girl and Scandal, and pretending she's Beyoncé.
Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English.