Communication Queen: Professor Christine Caswell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Even if you had never met Christine Caswell before, you could probably guess her industry claim-to-fame within minutes of meeting her.  Right off the bat, Professor Caswell puts you at ease; she emanates warmth and genuineness and speaks with the clear, engaging tone that only a practiced story-teller could implement so naturally.  Caswell has spent nearly twenty-five years as a broadcast journalist and anchor, traveling throughout the greater New England area to cover some of the most influential and heart-wrenching stories of our time.  She has received numerous accolades for her work in the industry, including two Emmy nominations for Outstanding Reporting and an Associated Press Award.  Now, this conquer-all mother of two returns to her alma mater to share her expertise with the undergrads of Boston College.  

Professor Caswell, a communications major and secondary education minor, got her start interning for WCVB TV during her senior year.  She worked full time as a production assistant for The Great Entertainment, while juggling an entire course load and senior honors thesis.  “Second semester senior year was very stressful,” she recalls, “but I got bitten by the ‘news bug,’ so to speak.”

Moving forward, Caswell accepted a position as an anchor and reporter in Manchester, New Hampshire, where she covered her first big case, the “Comeback Kid” Bill Clinton in the 1992 New Hampshire primary.  “It was a very exciting time to be in New Hampshire,” she remarks with a smile.  Caswell continued to gain momentum in her field as she moved from station to station, increasing the breadth of her work and reporting on high-profile cases such as the OJ Simpson trial and the Oklahoma City Bombings.

Caswell’s expertise in broadcasting extends beyond her well-crafted questions and clear annunciation.  Her ability to harness her emotions, in order to both relate to her interviewees and remain resilient through any negative reactions, has been pivotal in her success.  “Not only do you develop that thick skin and realize how to counter the attacks you might get as a member of the working press, but you have to learn compassion.”

“Having that emotion too makes you a better journalist because it shows that you’re real and you’re human.”  Despite her known effectiveness in breaking news situations, Caswell considers special interest features her favorite. “Spending time with people, not just pushing out information and getting a sound byte from politicians…those are the most meaningful…I care during that time that I’m spending with them… I want to give the story justice.”

What advice does Caswell have for our aspiring writers and future communication grads?  “Read, read, read, as much as you can.”  Even if you wouldn’t initially pick up Sports Illustrated or turn on the evening news, Caswell stresses that any exposure to writing—whether printed, broadcasted, or journaled in your free time—has immense value. 

In regards to internship season, the director of communication internships touts similar advice: “cast a wide net, apply to as many [internships] as possible,” but don’t accept an internship for the wrong reasons—“you have to find the one that matches your passions.”

Caswell has pioneered New England broadcast news for the past two and a half decades.  Remarking on her successes, I inquire whether she ever felt prejudiced as a woman reporter.  “The viewership is harder on women,” she admits.  “The woman is expected to look different every day, look beautiful, have her hair done.”  Even the career span tips more favorable towards men, who tend to “age better” on the air than women do. 

As a loving mother of two, Caswell can also speak on the struggles of balancing a career with family life.  “There’s a lot of prejudice that some news reporters may feel that ‘oh, [mothers are] not as committed,’ or they’re not as readily available, or they’re not as much as a team player.” “You really have to prove yourself.” 

Professor Caswell now resides as Director of Undergraduate Studies in the communications department, teaching three classes, while maintaining her industry experience as the co-host of CatholicTV’s Clear Voice.  But above all, Professor Caswell will always be an Eagle, as a BC alum, she smiles knowingly, “you bleed maroon and gold.”

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.