A Colony of Awkward: Stories of Socially Awkward BC Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Sometimes you hear stories of friends that have done the most embarrassing things; my roommates and I love to keep track of all of the crazy things that have happened to us so far this year! Of course, it’s all fun and games until you’re the one tripping on the Million Dollar Stairs and spilling your coffee on the nun walking in front of you…

“Just yesterday I was in Bapst and got into such a zone that I forgot I was actually in a library.  I started singing Taylor Swift out loud and was given quite the stare-down.  Don’t sing in Bapst… lesson learned!”

“I accidently wasn’t paying attention at the coffee bar in Hillside, and I took some girl’s drink instead of mine without realizing.  She happened to reach for it three seconds after me, and then proceeded to point to her name on the cup and yell at me for being one of those coffee stealers that everyone hates.  Now I’m afraid that everyone thinks I’m going to steal their coffees.”

“One time I had a walk of shame back to campus from off campus.  A bad experience was made worse by the fact that it was the red bandana 5k, and hundreds of people were on Comm Ave. Maybe it’s better to consider campus events before opting for a sleepover!”

“I was in Cushing a few weeks ago and was distracted on my phone when I walked into the bathroom and saw a guy in there.  Instead of doing the normal thing and thinking that I was in the wrong bathroom and apologizing before running out, I looked at him and asked him why he was in the women’s room.  It wasn’t until I saw the urinal and the confused look on his face that I immediately apologized and ran out of the bathroom.

“Freshman year I woke up around three thirty am.  Since it was in the middle of the night on Newton (buses end at two!), I assumed everyone would have been asleep, or at least out of the halls.  Blindly, without contacts or glasses, I decided to walk from my room to the bathroom in only a t-shirt and panties. I didn’t realize it until it was too late, but the RAs were in the hall helping a resident who needed to get sent to the hospital.  The RA staff remembered me two years later when I randomly ran into two of them. They brought it up.”

“One time I decided to wear these amazing new heeled boots to class, except the only issue was that I lived on Newton.  I couldn’t even make it from Main Gate down Linden Lane without tripping every few steps! Before I knew it, I had to turn around, get back on the bus, and go home to change my shoes.  It goes without saying that I was very late for class that day.”

“You know the glass doors in O’Neill?  The really obvious ones?  Yeah… I’ve walked straight into those multiple times”

See, you’re not alone, collegiettes!  Let’s hope that these stories make you feel a little better next time you do something really embarrassing. 

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.