Club Sports Team Celebrity of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This week’s Club Sport’s Team Celebrity of the week is Ryan McCoy!

Ryan, a Boston College junior and Towson, Maryland native, is the merchandise secretary of the Boston College Men’s Rugby Team.

What exactly is the Boston College Rugby Team?

Founded in 1968, the BC Rugby Team (BCRFC for short) is a Division I Team in the East Coast Rugby Conference. We practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with our competitions on Saturdays. The team is about sixty people total, with an “A” side (the varsity team) and the “B” side (the developmental team).

For those of you who are unfamiliar with rugby, there are fifteen players on each team—eight forwards and seven backs. The goal of the game is to score tries and convert penalty kicks. Each half is about 45 minutes long and the game is non-stop, a running clock that is similar to football. The rugby players have no pads, except for mouth guards and some headgear, making it one of the most dangerous club sports at Boston College.

BCRFC has played numerous home games as well as traveled to Middlebury, Albany, UConn, UMass-Amherst, and Harvard for away games.

What has been the highlight of your fall season?

The highlight of our fall season was definitely our win against our big rival, Northeastern. We won in the last play of the game and senior Kyle McViker scored a trie at the end of the game to secure our win.

What is your favorite part of the rugby team?

The best part is definitely hanging out with the guys on the team, they are some of my best friends here at BC. As well as being talented rugby players, we also play golf on the weekends and have a golf tournament next weekend, so that will be fun.

What do you look forward to for the spring season?

Our team finished third this past fall season with a 4-2 record, and we look forward to an even more successful spring season. We will have twelve returning starters out of the fifteen total players, so our main goal next season with such a strong team will be to make the national playoffs and play in the Beast of the East Tournament in the spring time.

What position do you play?

I play scrumhalf and my job is to pass the ball from the forwards to the fly-half.

Ladies… Ryan is looking for a formal date if you are interested! Sources say he’s a fun time.

Photo Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.mccoy3?fref=ts

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum