Classes We Wish BC Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Every semester, the dilemma arises as to which classes to take.  You scroll the Agora page, you analyze the newspaper listings, and you flip through the book.  You know what classes you need to take, and you fear the dreaded requirements of your major, your minor, and the core.

What if this fear disappeared?  What if your dream class, whether real or imaginary, was actually on the paper or screen in front of you?  Wouldn’t that ease the fear of an upcoming semester?

After asking fellow students what they thought and asking myself what I would want, I was able to comprise a list of courses that Boston College should definitely take under consideration.

Here are the suggestions:

• Wine tasting
  • Cooking
  • Physical Education (i.e. yoga for credit, random obscure sports for class credit, etc.)
  • The History of Sports in America (not just as a freshman seminar)
  • Acting for Film. (As Lockhart* explained it, “There is a very big difference between acting for the stage and acting for film. I think it would really help those of us who want to add to our actors’ skills and become a professional on-camera actor.”)
  • Nutrition (a course not just about science)
  • Health (what foods are good for you and getting to try them)
  • How to Get Motivated
  • Sign Language
  • Camping and Hiking (Classes involving these are at UVM as Lupin* explained.)
  • One-on-one instrument lessons. (Umbridge* suggested vocal or guitar lessons.)
  • Robotics
  • Any type of class related to pirates
  • Real-life Math (balancing a check book, accounting, etc.)
  • Introduction to Archaeology
  • Introduction to Forensic Anthropology
  • The History of Fashion
  • Introduction to World Religions
  • Any type of class that was focused on Harry Potter.
  • Transfiguration (Quirrell* explained, “so as to transfigure grades into good ones”)
  • “Anything with magic because it would mean that I had magical powers and DUH THAT’S AWESOME!!!!!!” (Moody’s* direct response)
  • Teleportation
  • Quidditch (flying on broomsticks)

While some of these suggestions may seem silly, they show our interests are not just confined to the courses and curriculum set by Boston College.  By making the subject matter relevant to students today, the material within our courses then becomes more accessible. 

Furthermore, complaints have been made about the core and how it is useless. By modifying courses, students would be able to learn material from a number of disciplines, but be able to apply it to real life.  As Snape* explained, “I think they teach useful, real-world lessons that would help us after we leave college for the real world.” 

While there may not be immediate changes, some hopefully might be made in the near future.  Until then, there is always hope that a teacher will sneak in a Harry Potter reference into their lecture. Wingardium Leviosa!

*These names have been changed to the names of the Defense Against the Dark Arts professors from Harry Potter.

Image Sources:

https://levynewsnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bored-students-in-lecture-hall-mp900443256.jpg

http://www.btpstesting.com/wp-content/uploads/excited_students.jpg

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2001_Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerer’s_Stone/warwick_davis_daniel_radcliffe_rupert_grint_emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_sorcerer’s_stone_001.jpg

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)