Classes to Take at the Plex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you are a gym novice like me, the Plex may perplex you just a bit. There are so many machines for so many different parts of the body that it gets a little difficult for me to figure out which ones I should use. Because of my naivete, I usually end up doing the same workouts with slight variations every time I go to the gym. However, recently I have found some great classes at the Plex that are not only fantastic workouts, but they are also really fun and motivating. Here are 3 of my favorites to get you started.

1. Cardio Kickboxing

I have to say, this is probably my favorite class because I work up such a sweat, but the music is awesome and the hour really flies by. Cardio kickboxing works the whole body and it is definitely intense but totally worth it!  It also feels kind of empowering because a lot of the workout is punching and kicking (obviously). I like to think that I’m fighting off some bad guys while at the same time getting in great shape.

2. Step

This is a great class because it is split into two parts. The first 25 minutes are dedicated to using the steps and working on legs and glutes, while the second 25 minutes focus on doing core and using weights to strengthen arms. There is a nice 5-minute break in between also, so you can catch your breath and get all the needed equipment. This is another intense workout, but so worth it because I always feel great afterward.

3. Zumba

What a class! It is basically dancing for an hour and working up a sweat. The music is always great and really gets me in the mode of the class. Plus, the intensity of the workout is somewhat dulled by the fun that is the dance moves. This is not to say that it is an easy class because it’s not, but it definitely makes working out much more exhilarating and exciting.

I know working out can be a real struggle, but these workout classes really do make exercise fun. It is also a cool activity to do with friends that will help keep you all healthy while at the same time bond you together in a neat weekly activity. Plus, these Plex classes sure beat running on the treadmill, doing crunches, or using the elliptical for an hour!

Alexandra is a Senior History major with an English minor at Boston College who can always be found procrastinating by reading books or watching Netflix. She is known for making puns so bad that not even her friends laugh at them (but she always does). Her favorite ice cream flavor is Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Favorite movies include When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poets Society, and The Princess Bride.
Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!