Cinco Reasons to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

In my opinion, Cinco de Mayo is a severely underrated holiday, especially in the Boston area. The whole day is basically centered around eating Mexican food, drinking margaritas, and wearing sombreros. What’s not to love right? Right! So, here are the top five reasons why you should celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year:

1. You need a break—This year, Cinco de Mayo falls on the Sunday before study days, and after spending all day Friday and Saturday in the library, you definitely deserve a break. Even though we all have finals next week, sometimes you just need a day off. And what better way to break than by celebrating with copious amounts of Chipotle and Margaritas?
  1. There is a Cinco de Mayo Bar Crawl going on in Boston—Boston loves bar crawls, and Cinco de Mayo is no exception. This particular bar crawl starts at Kitty O’Shea’s (obviously Mexican) at noon and there are five different bars in the area involved. This would definitely be a fun event for juniors and seniors (21+) to get all of your friends together before the finals grind begins and celebrate the last few weeks of the semester. 
  1. Margaritas—Cinco de Mayo is one of the few holidays where drinking massive amounts of tequila during the day is okay. It is important to take advantage of such a day as it only comes once a year.  So whether you are making your own margaritas or heading to a nearby Mexican restaurant (or Applebee’s), remember to stay festive and drink tequila. We have to properly celebrate the Mexican victory over the French, right?
  1. Queso and Guacamole—I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m pretty sure that guacamole and queso are my two favorite foods. And since both are Mexican, it is key to overindulge on such an important Mexican holiday. What better way to spend the day than by having every meal consist of guacamole and queso, the two best foods ever created?
  1. Chipotle, Anna’s, El Pelon, etc.—Even though these places are all staples in our everyday lives, it’s basically required to show your Tex-Mex pride by frequenting one (or all) of these restaurants on Cinco de Mayo. I’m pretty sure half of the BC student population will be there cheering you on.

Photo Sources:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID42604/images/margaritas[1].jpg

http://barcrawls.com/boston

http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/c5/OVjCiYJmVNkGZC-640m.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.