This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You probably have a Mexican hat stuffed somewhere in a closet of regrets.  There are still pictures tagged on Facebook of you wielding a haphazard fake mustache.  You’re still not on speaking terms with tequila, but you’re willing to compromise.  And compromise you will.  The beginning of May means one thing for college students across America—the unforgiving Mexican holiday, Cinco de Mayo.  Or as some mastermind cleverly dubbed it: “Cinco de Drinko.”

When it comes down to the holiday itself, however, few people actually know the true meaning behind the celebration (especially if you’re in college—it’s an excuse to party, who needs details?).  I count myself among the guilty.  This year, I decided to take a stand and cleanse myself of the ignorance by tapping into my resources.  Who better to ask than a Mexican? My good friend Alejandra Cabrera (A&S ’14), born and raised in Miami, provided some clarification.

Apparently, there’s a common misconception that Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s Independence Day—but that is not the case.

“I never knew many details growing up, but I knew it was a huge victory we had with the French that nobody expected we would have,” she said.  “It’s just a really big pride celebration in Mexico.”

Known as El Dia de La Batalla de Puebla (Day of the Battle of Puebla), Cinco de Mayo marks the victory of the Mexican army over the French on the title day in 1862.

As for the importance of the celebration, it’s “not really a big deal. It was one of the few days a year my mom would cook, so that was a big deal to us, but as far as celebrations and stuff, not for me.”

Similarly, it isn’t as huge a deal in Mexico as we American folks make it out to be.  Celebration of the holiday is mostly limited to the state of Puebla, where the victorious battle occurred.

“Back home in Mexico, people do celebrate it—not the way they do here,” said Alejandra.  “It’s a much more cultural celebration.”

It seems to be a trend for America though.  “I just look at St. Patrick’s Day and I can’t feel that bad. I just see that people like excuses to party, and Cinco de Mayo is an excuse to party.”

With this bit of enlightenment, bring out the poncho and party on exactly as you would anyway. Orale.

Photo Sources:
http://pinterest.com/pin/226517056227380063/
http://pinterest.com/pin/148337381446611655/

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.