Choosing a Winter Coat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

That time of year is coming; the leaves are falling, and BOOM! It’s freezing cold out. It’s time to buy a winter coat and the sooner you do it, the better! Because if you wait, they start selling out at all of the stores in order to make way for “spring” fashion, even though we all know spring is nothing more than a myth in Boston.

So here are some of the most important tips when it comes to picking out a coat:

1. Make sure that whatever coat you pick covers your butt! I know, it definitely makes the coat less flattering, but when it is eight degrees outside you’ll thank me. Don’t make my foolish freshman mistake and pick the most useless coat ever.
  2. If you’re worried about looking like the Michelin Man (AKA a giant marshmallow), buy a coat with a belt or an elastic band right at your waist. Also, stick with darker colors as they are more slimming.

HOT:

NOT:

1. Keep in mind that you will probably wear this coat every single day of winter, so pick a color that you will be able to match with most things in your wardrobe. Also, pick a color you can wear everyday and won’t get tired of like navy blue, dark grey, or moss green. And remember to match your coat with your backpack because you will be wearing the two together all the time! For example, I have a bright red backpack, so if I ever bought a green coat I would look like Christmas all the time.
  2. Try to avoid ordering a coat online. It’s much better to go to the actual store. That way, you can try it on and ask the salesperson as many questions as you want. Newbury Street is a great place to look for coats: there’s The North Face, Patagonia, and the Tannery! And if you don’t find anything on Newbury, then there’s a J. Crew as well as many department stores in the nearby malls.
  3. When choosing a size, keep in mind that you will probably be wearing a couple of layers underneath the coat, so leave room for that! Sometimes going a size up is a great idea.
  4. Another important thing to find out is whether or not your coat has a warmth rating. Also, if you plan on taking your coat to play in snow, then you will want to ask if it is “water resistant” or “waterproof.”

Happy shopping!

Image Sources:

http://www.lyst.com/clothing/burberry-brit-mareton-belted-jacket-black-11/

http://thereticule.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ghost_w32-2009-07-11-00-45-53-16.png

http://photos.posh24.com/p/1428134/z/ashley_olsen/rachel_bilson_winter_jacket.jpg

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."