This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Countless celebrities have tried their hand at fashion. From collaborating with already established businesses to building a fashion house from the ground up, we have seen our fair share of fabulousness and failures. Here, we have profiled a few of the most interesting celebrity lines.

Successful Brands

The most successful celebrity fashion line is by far The Row by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. Established in 2006, the high-end fashion line features ready-to-wear pieces as well as sunglasses and handbags that are timeless and elegant. It is by far the most expensive of the twins’ three fashion lines, with prices reaching to over $10,000. 

Less expensive and more creative is L.A.M.B. by Gwen Stefani. Founded in 2003, it draws inspiration from many different fashion cultures, as well as Stefani’s own unique style. The brand name is an acronym for Love. Angel. Music. Baby, which was her first solo album.

Also incredibly successful is House of Harlow 1960 by Nicole Richie. Launched in 2009, Richie has been involved in every aspect of the brand. Each collection reflects Richie’s “love and influence of costume dressing” and ranges from clothing to jewelry to shoes.

William Rast by Justin Timberlake and his friend Trace Ayala is among the top ten successful celebrity brands. It is a self-proclaimed denim culture brand that “focuses on modern and inventive design with a biker inspired formula, grounded in the iconography of American denim heritage.” The brand features both men’s and women’s clothing and accessories.

And then there is Rocawear by Jay-Z and Damon Dash. Created in 1999, it has gotten many singers to be the face of its various campaigns. The brand was able to expand by taking advantage of multiple licensing deals and now features many different lines.  

(Sadly, Jay-Z’s wife’s brand House of Dereon, has not been so lucky).

Other very successful lines include the Rachel Zoe Collection, the Victoria Beckham Collection, the Jessica Simpson Collection, Sean John by P. Diddy, and all three of Kimora Lee Simmons’ lines.

Unsuccessful Brands

A short-lived, but personally adored fashion venture was the line Holmes & Yang by Katie Holmes and her stylist Jeanne Yang. First debuted in 2009, the line featured classic and elegant ready-to-wear pieces. Unfortunately, due to extreme differences, the two have decided to end their partnership.

Even shorter-lived was Natalie Portman for Te Casan. Launched in 2008, the actress got a lot of flack for overpricing her line of luxury vegan shoes, despite the fact that she contributed a portion of all sales to charities. And sadly, after only about six months, the line was discontinued.

Another sadly ended brand was Bitten by Sarah Jessica Parker. Introduced in 2007 through Steve & Barry’s, it was a cheap ready-to-wear line that did not gain as much success as was expected. However, the line ultimately ended in 2009 due to Steve & Barry’s own folding.

The Rich & Infamous brand by Snoop Dogg also lasted for only two years. It was originally started in 2008 and featured hats, shirts, and coats with graphic designs. Before discontinuing the line, however, Snoop collaborated with designer Christian Audigier for some of his pieces.

When it comes to Benjamin Bixby by Andre 3000, it is unclear what exactly happened. The brand was originally launched in 2008 and featured pieces that drew inspiration from preppy and collegiate styles that were sold exclusively at Barneys. The line then seems to have disappeared, though there was talk in 2011 of reviving and expanding it (under the name Bixby).

Other unsuccessful lines include Sweetface by Jennifer Lopez, Mblem by Mandy Moore, Abbey Dawn by Avril Lavigne, Material Girl by Madonna, and 6126 by Lindsay Lohan.

Unknown and Unique Brands

Among the lesser known is Just Keep Livin by Matthew McConaughey. Founded in 2013, this is a brand that just keeps givin’.  A portion of every sale is donated to his Just Keep Livin Foundation, which “starts and supports after-school fitness and wellness programs in areas that need them most.”

Another unknown (and quite frankly unexpected) line is Abbot + Main, which was created in collaboration with Kellan Lutz. Touted as “Venice Beach lifestyle clothing,” the collection consists of casual luxury basics for both men and women. Though the pieces are cute (and comfortable) they are a bit on the expensive side.

One of the weirdest lines is Never the Bride by Courtney Love. A vintage grunge collection, some of the pieces have an air of elegance, while others are merely disheveled.  As of 2012, only pictures of pieces have been posted on Twitter.

Equally strange is Pantaloonies by Helena Bonham Carter and her friend Samantha Sage. Created in 2006, the due has both designed a lingerie range called Bloomin’ Bloomers and runs a jean customization service. The latter involves customers filling out a small questionnaire and sending in a pair of jeans that they would like to have worked. What they get back is a unique pair of jeans (possibly with a “bum-frill”).

*Information sources include brand websites, news/magazine articles, and Wikipedia.

Photo Sources:

The Row – Top 10 Collections

André Benjamin’s Clothing Line Includes Plus Fours and Club SweatersJust Keep Livin | 2014 Spring/Summer Campaign

Helena Bonham Carter se apunta a la moda

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.