This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Sunday night will mark the beginning of this year’s C.A.R.E. Week.  C.A.R.E. stands for Concerned About Rape Education, and the week is hosted by Boston College’s Women’s Center. This week will feature numerous events, all of which aim to educate BC’s community on sexual assault and intimate partner violence and empower survivors of sexual violence. Please see the lineup of events below and attend any and all that interest you!

Sunday

Masses

The Women’s Center is excited to be working with Campus Ministry to bring C.A.R.E. Week to masses. The following masses will have a focus on C.A.R.E Week, and the collections will be offered to Bakhita House, a center that offers a welcoming home and a safe environment for women who are survivors of human trafficking. 

• Trinity Chapel on Newton, 9PM
  • St. Joseph’s Chapel on Upper, 9PM
  • Lannon Chapel in St. Ignatius Church, 9PM
  • Height’s Room in Lower, 10:15PM

Monday 

“How can stories of dating and sexual relationships have happy endings?”

The Women’s and Gender Studies Program and REACT will be welcoming Professor Emily Rothman to discuss healthy relationships. Professor Rothman will discuss how factors, such as alcohol, pornography and relationship styles, impact couples. The event will begin at 6:30PM in Stokes 195S. 

Tuesday

“Competitive Edge: Masculinity, Aggression, and Athletic Culture”

The Women’s Center is happy to work with Man Up! and GLC to bring this event to campus. Join us in a discussion on the intersection of masculinity, aggression and athletic culture hosted by Professor Brett Ingram. The event will take place in Cushing 209 at 3PM. 

“Dangerous Perceptions: Race, Sexuality and Sexual Violence”

FACES and UGBC will be hosting a very interesting and informative conversation on the intersection of race, sexuality and sexual assault as part of C.A.R.E. Week. Please join us for what is sure to be an eye-opening event on Tuesday at 5PM in Gasson 305.

Wednesday

“Take Back The Night”

On Wednesday night, we welcome you all to join us for one of the most moving events of C.A.R.E. Week. Take Back The Night is a nationally recognized event that aims to reaffirm the community’s commitment to ending sexual and intimate partner violence by spreading awareness within the Boston College community. It is a night of reflection, healing and empowerment that originates from the stories of courageous survivors who demonstrate the impact of sexual violence on individuals in our society. Please join us in Lyons Dining Hall (The Rat) at 6PM. 

Thursday

“Where We Stand: A Conversation with BC Staff and Responders About Addressing Sexual Violence in out Community”

This event will give students the opportunity to ask Boston College staff, administrators, and police about how the university handles and redresses disclosures of sexual violence on campus. If you have any questions or concerns, this evening will serve to illuminate some of the lesser-known aspects of the process and answer any questions. It will be hosted in Fulton 511 at 5PM. 

Friday

“Self- C.A.R.E.: Expressive Painting Workshop”

End the week with some self-caring. The Women’s Center and I AM THAT GIRL will be hosting a painting workshop to allow participants to express themselves through art. If interested, please RSVP to rose.miola@bc.edu. It will be from 3-4:30PM in Devlin Studio 413. 

A huge thank you to all campus organizations that are taking part in C.A.R.E. Week! I hope many of you will be able to attend these empowering and informative events. 

Photo Sources:

The Women’s Center and Co-Sponsors

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.