The Campus School: BC’s Best-Kept Secret

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I’m sure with Marathon Monday coming up, you have all at least heard of one person running the Boston Marathon for the Campus School, but do you really know what the Campus School is and what the volunteers are all about?

The Campus School is a publically funded, privately run school for students ages 3-21 with multiple, severe disabilities and complex health care needs.  The school is located in Campion, but contrary to popular belief, that does not mean that only Lynch students are active volunteers at the school.  The Campus School Volunteers is a group of BC students who help out with every aspect of the school.  There are committees that work in the classroom, through fundraising, or both.

I started volunteering at the Campus School as a senior in high school, so joining the Campus School Volunteers my freshman year was a no brainer.  It quickly became my favorite thing to do on campus, and spending time in the Campus School always brightened my day.  When I told people about the students I worked with at the school, I always got the same question: “Wow, that must be so sad.  Doesn’t volunteering there make you feel so bad?”  To be completely honest, yes, it does make me feel bad at times, but not for the reason you might think.  I feel bad because I know most people will never be as genuine, caring, or loving as the students I work with.  Many people will never even try to meet individuals like those at the Campus School because they are different.  Being around people who are different can be uncomfortable at first, but that shouldn’t deter you from making the effort.  I can honestly say I adore the students I work with at the Campus School (including the other BC volunteers!) and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 

This week is Campus School’s Spirit Week, which means it is a perfect time to learn more about BC’s best-kept secret!  Stop by any of the tables in Mac and Lower, and talk to any of the volunteers about our incredibly cool program called EagleEyes, a technology created by CSOM professor, James Gips.  Read more about Professor Gips here!  We will be hosting a Marathon Pep Rally on Friday morning from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. in our multipurpose room, and our Annual Campus School Classic Golf Tournament is on May 3rd.   Check out more details by looking at our website.  Also, feel free to stop by the school itself this week and walk around!  Everyone will be decked out in his or her best spirit gear to show his or her school pride!  Below is the schedule for each day’s themes:

Monday – Comfy Clothes Day

Tuesday – Western Day

Wednesday – Sports Day

Thursday – Hippy/Tie Dye Day

Friday – Caribbean Day

I really hope you all take the time to check out the Campus School!  We are always looking for more volunteers, and love to show people around.

Photo Sources:

http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/campsch/about.html

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."