Campus School Bandit Marathon Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On Sunday April 12th, almost twenty runners tied up their sneakers and began a 26.2-mile trek. It might not be Marathon Monday, but Marathon Sunday is certainly a big event, especially for the BC community.

For many years, the Boston College Campus School sent out an illustrious team of Boston Marathon runners. For those of you who don’t know, the Campus School is a school for students ages 3 to 21 with severe disabilities and complex healthcare needs. The marathon runners raise an unbelievable amount of funds for the students, and it was one of the best days of the year for our volunteer community.

Unfortunately, after the tragic events of the marathon bombing, the Campus School and the BAA made the decision that we would no longer be sending runners out. All of the Campus School runners ran as bandits, meaning they weren’t registered. This became a safety concern, and although we are very fortunate that none of the Campus School runners were physically harmed in the bombing, we did not want to take that risk in the future. We also wanted to be respectful of the BAA’s decision, considering how many difficult decisions they had to make.

Last year, the Campus School had its first Bandit Marathon. This marathon was our way to keep raising funds for our school, honoring our fantastic team of runners, and giving our full attention to the Boston Marathon. The event was a huge success, so the Campus School Marathon Committee began planning for the second annual Bandit Marathon.

This brings us back to April 12th. It was a beautiful, sunny day, which was perfect for our runners and fans alike! The 26.2-mile route was lined with water stops facilitated by the Campus School community. Many Campus School families made signs and cheered on runners, which was especially meaningful considering the runners were wearing names of Campus School students on their shirts.

Mile 21 lived up to its usual reputation, with hoards of people cheering for hours outside. People were listening to music, playing outdoor games and cheering on any and all runners who came by. The love and support was overwhelming.

At the end of the day, all 18 Bandits successfully crossed the finish line. Their months of hard work had come to an end. The long training runs in the snowy winter of Boston may not have been fun, but it certainly seemed like it all paid off in the end.

On behalf of the Campus School volunteers, I would like to extend a sincere and heartfelt thank you to the Bandit Marathon runners, as well as the family and friends who supported from the sidelines. This day is truly amazing, and it helps our school in more ways than I can even express.  

Photo Sources:

Boston College Campus School

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.