This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Camp Kesem is a national organization with local chapters at universities around the country. The camp itself is a free, week-long summer camp for children ages 6-16 whose parents have or have had cancer. The camp addresses the idea that an individual does not get cancer, a family does; they recognize and embrace the often-overlooked population of children affected by a parent’s cancer. They provide an opportunity for those children to escape the stress that cancer puts on a family and be a normal kid again, to go away to summer camp without worrying every day whether mommy or daddy will be okay.

Camp Kesem creates an open and safe environment for campers to share their experiences and struggles, reminding them that they are not alone in this fight and that there is an entire community ready and willing to support them.

They are a new organization, having just received approval to start a chapter here in Chestnut Hill last spring.

They encourage any students interested in being a part of their organization, whether that is through holding one of their coordinator positions, being a general committee member, or volunteering to be a counselor at the summer camp, to email them at bc@campkesem.org.

Just a couple notes to be sure to avoid any confusion: This organization is Camp Kesem Chestnut Hill and in no way affiliated or sponsored by Boston College. They are not a registered student organization, but neither are we, so let’s show those non-registered student organizations some love!

This is a new organization just beginning this year and the first session will be this summer. So be one of the first to join this awesome organization. As men and women for others, this camp is the embodiment of BC values. Check them out!

Photos provided by William Lambert, a member of Camp Kesem

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.