Cafes Worth the Trek into Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

While we all like to say we go to school in Boston, the reality is that Boston College is tucked far away in Chestnut Hill. This leaves us with a 5-minute bus ride and 20-25 minute train ride into the city. The city offers us BC students with a multitude of cultural, social, and educational opportunities to take advantage of, but I find that some of the most noteworthy offerings are Boston’s dining establishments. Everything from fine dinning in the North End to chains like Chipotle can be found in this wonderful city. While the trek into Boston can often deter us from venturing into the city, there are a few cafes that I have come across that make the trek entirely worth it.

Trident Café
This quaint little café and bookstore located on Newbury Street (right off the Hynes T stop), offers the best of both worlds. You can peruse the large selection of novels, discounted books, and magazines before sitting down to enjoy a delicious meal. Trident serves breakfast all day, offering a variety of options like a delectable eggs benedict or tofu scramble (a great vegan or vegetarian option). The sweet potato fries are to die for, and you cannot go wrong with any of the sandwiches. The drink menu is extensive, ranging from fresh fruit and veggie juices to bubble teas. It is the perfect place to study on a Sunday afternoon and get away from BC for a while.

L’Aroma Café

Also located on Newbury Street, this café offers its patrons a taste of Europe. With selections ranging from homemade pizza and sandwiches to French macaroons, you cannot go wrong stepping into this pleasant café. While it is not really a place to sit and do work (often busy with not many tables) it is a perfect place for a quick bite or cup of coffee with a friend. By far the best part of my visits to L’Aroma is the dessert selection. With a variety of pastries and gluten-free options, there is something for everyone on the menu. Next time you are on Newbury Street and are feeling like a coffee, pastry, or a light lunch, definitely check out L’Aroma – you will be instantly transported to Europe.

Crema Café

Located in Harvard Square, this café is definitely a trek, but trust me, it is entirely worth it. If you watch Cupcake Wars (I’ll admit it is a guilty pleasure of mine), then you may have heard of this outstanding café, as they were runners-up in an episode where the prize was catering Kristen Cavallari’s baby shower. While the cupcakes are outstanding, Crema Café offers a lot more than just sweets. Their savory items such as the spinach artichoke grilled chicken panini, tomato bisque, and grilled cheese sandwich are just as noteworthy. The atmosphere at Crema is equally as enjoyable as the food. I often make the trek here simply because I cannot stay away. I have brought many friends to Crema and they often claim that this is where our friendship began (apparently only once I introduced them to this amazing food did they find value in my friendship). Crema also makes delicious homemade bagels, but make sure to arrive early for these because they sell out. Next time you are in Harvard Square with friends, suggest stopping by Crema.  Trust me, you won’t regret it and your friends will love you for it

Yes it may be a trek to get into Boston to enjoy all it has to offer, but I promise you will not regret making the trek for any of these cafes!

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.