Boston Strong and Victorious: Red Sox Win the World Series!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Boston fans woke up this morning with bleary eyes, but more importantly with smiles on their faces. The Boston Red Sox, for the first time since 1918, won the World Series at home and let me tell you the city responded to this quite well. These beloved bearded men brought the victory home to Boston and fans could not be more happy and riotous!! Whether you were home, at a bar or among the masses at Fenway, you were bound to be jumping up in joy as Koji Uehara struck out the last Cardinals batter.

I must say that I am SO blessed as a Red Sox fan here in Boston.

1. I was able to go to Game 1.

2. I have seen 3 World Series championships in my lifetime.

3. I am a college student in Boston and here when they won.

The Red Sox clinched the series 4-2 against the Cardinals with a 6-1 win. Who would have thought that the postseason was even in our line of vision back in March when the Red Sox were coming off a very sour 2012-2013 season? Well we defied the odds folks and as Pedroia tweeted back in March: “Only thing I ask is u believe now! Don’t jump on later. Boston doesn’t have bandwagon fans! It’s going to be special and we want the city to make a huge advantage all year for us. Get loud! Thx everyone let’s go.’’ I believed and look where it got us.

All I can say is what a year for Boston? After the horrific bombing at the Boston Marathon, the Red Sox were the most profound of the Boston teams to get the message of “Boston Strong” across. The team wanted to show that they, like the city, are resilient to defeat and will not be pushed down. To prove that Boston will also be a place that their fans call their own with pride.  David Ortiz, World Series MVP (and future Hall of Famer in my opinion), said himself that this win may have been the most important to him. That this team was special, they were family and that the head coach John Farrell is like a caring dad. Well Papa Farrell, you truly turned this dysfunctional team from last season around. The vets, Ortiz, Ellsbury and Pedroia helped welcome players like Victorino and Carp onto the team.

And who doesn’t love when we all cheer “Every little thing, is gonna be alright” when Victorino comes up to bat. That is a message the Red Sox always want to give back to their fans. Well every thing was MORE than alright last night as the bottles were popped in the locker room, crowds cheered at Fenway and the Prudential Center lit up “GO SOX” in the window.

As we anxiously wait for the final plans to be set for the Duck Boat Parade (word is that it is going to be on Saturday), we can just live in the glorious moment of being a Red Sox fan.  Thank you to the 2013 Boston Red Sox for making this city Boston Strong. We ARE the World Series Champs. 

Photo Source: www.facebook.com/RedSox

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum