This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Stephen Colbert had it right when he said: “These maniacs tried to make life bad for the people of Boston.  But all they can ever do is show just how good those people are.”  If Monday’s tragedy has shown us anything, it is that the people of Boston are strong and that in the face of darkness they will overcome it with light.  We have all heard of the heroic actions that took place on that day: the first responders tearing down the barricades to attend to the wounded, the runners who finished the marathon but continued running on to donate blood, and the members of the community who offered up all that they could to help the runners and spectators.  Videos showing how Boston will rise and the video of the National Anthem sung at last night’s Bruins game have left us with chills and a desire to help Boston stand strong.  We are BC and together we can help the place we call home stand strong.

If you are available, attend the Boston College vigil today in O’Neil Plaza at 4pm.  This is a chance for members of the community to come together in order to support and honor those affected by this tragedy.  It is a time for us to stand together as Eagles to support one another and show that we stand behind Boston.  Though the 5-mile walk has been postponed, one day we will be able to walk and show that we decide when our marathon ends.

Today is also wear “Boston” day.  So pull out anything from your closet that says Boston on it and wear it.  Whether it is a BC shirt or a Boston sports team shirt, wear it to show support for the victims of the attack and to show that together we will all take a stand for Boston.

Next week the American Red Cross chapter at BC will be hosting a blood drive.  It is being held Monday, April 22nd from 12pm-5pm and Wednesday, April 24th from 11am-5pm in the Walsh Hall Function room.  They are accepting both donors and volunteers for the event and are asking people to register for an appointment by clicking on the following link: https://orgsync.com/42671/events .

A lot of campaigns are encouraging the Boston community to get out and run.  Some of them are “Finish the Race” and “26.2gether.”  Whether it is getting out there and finishing a mile or just keeping track of the next 26.2 miles you walk, jog, or run, this is a way for us to run for the ones for whom Monday’s 26.2 might have been their last, for the ones who didn’t finish, and for all who were affected by the attack.  “Run it in one day, run it in a week, or run it in a month.  Just run.”

Governor Deval Patrick and Mayor Tom Menino set up a charity for the victims of Marathon Monday’s bombings.  Any and all donations are appreciated and can be donated through the secure website: http://onefundboston.org.  Two students at Emerson designed t-shirts with all proceeds going to The One Fund Boston.  They have already sold 2,245 shirts and hope to sell many more.  If you are interested in purchasing their shirts, definitely check out their Facebook page.

Beginning early next week, 2,000 Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maine will start collecting customer donations of $1 or more for The One Fund Boston. 

The Last 5 Mile T-Shirts, organized through BC, are being sold with all the proceeds going to the American Red Cross.  They have currently placed their order and are not accepting any more for the time being.  However, they are diligently working with CustomInk to set up a campaign page that would allow for individual purchases.  More information about this campaign can be found on their Facebook page

No matter how you choose to help show your support, just know that every little bit counts. Choose to rise. Choose to stand. Choose to be Boston Strong.

Photo Sources:

www.facebook.com/events/528920…

www.facebook.com/StayStrongBos…

http://www.allvoices.com/contr…

http://www.globalpost.com/disp…

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."