Boston NEDA Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On April 6, NEDA and MEDA are partnering up for the National Eating Disorder Awareness walk. This walk will take place at the Newton North High School track from 9AM- 12PM. You can walk as an individual or put together a group to support a cause that often does not receive the attention it deserves.

What is MEDA

MEDA, Inc., formally known as Massachusetts Eating Disorder Association, now Multi-service Eating Disorder Association, was founded in 1994 by Rebecca Manley. MEDA’s mission is to “prevent the continuing spread of eating disorders through educational awareness and early detection. MEDA serves as a support network and resource for clients, loved ones, clinicians, educators, and the general public.”

What is NEDA?

NEDA is the National Eating Disorder Association. “NEDA supports individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serves as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.”

Often those who know someone with an eating disorder do not know what they can say or do to help. Here’s an article Her Campus BC has written before on how to help. Click here.

Sometimes the person suffering from an eating disorder doesn’t want to get help. These two organizations stress the importance of finding proper resources for recovery and will even help individuals find these options. The thought of getting help can be scary for some people, but the only way to really overcome the difficulty of an eating disorder is to be open and admit you need help.

Article Sources:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org

http://medainc.org/

Alana is currently a junior at Boston College studying Communications and marketing. She is the Publicity director and events coordinator for Her Campus BC as well as being a part of the editorial team. 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum