Boston by the Book… The History Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Boston is a marvelous mix of the past and present. Skyscrapers and glass buildings are nestled in cobblestone neighborhoods with historic hotels and restaurants. History seeps out of every building, street, and gas lamp. A walk down the foliage-lined Freedom Trail will transport any visitor back in time. Each step reveals a story and reveals an important chapter in Boston’s history. First chartered as a city in 1822, Boston is one of America’s oldest cities. Named after Boston in Lincolnshire, England, modern-day Boston has an unmistakable European influence. Through the years, Boston has acquired many nicknames: “Beantown,” “The Hub,” and “The City on a Hill.” The Hub’s history, however, is a story worth exploring.          

The Historical “Hub”

Boston is not only a historical “hub,” but also a hub of academia. Harvard University is the crown jewel of colleges with its prestige, tradition, and history. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. Stroll through Cambridge’s historic Harvard Yard.

Take a ride to Paul Revere’s House in Boston’s North End. Take a tour of downtown Boston’s oldest building and one of the few remaining homes of colonial America to learn more about the legendary Paul Revere, who wrote himself into history books with his midnight ride on April 18, 1775.

Follow the freedom trail from the Paul Revere House to the Old North Church. Built in 1723, it is Boston’s oldest religious building. The legend of the Old North Church also began on April 18, 1775. Robert Newman, the church sexton, climbed the steeple and with two lanterns sent a signal from Paul Revere: “One if by land, and two, if by sea.” The two lanterns atop the Old North Church steeple informed American soldiers that the British were advancing toward Lexington and Concord by sea.

A Taste of Boston’s Time-Tested Best

Stop into Union Oyster House (41 Union Street; (617) 227-2750) for a taste of history. It is the oldest restaurant in the United States. Fun fact: Before it was a restaurant, the Union Oyster House served as a refuge for future French King Louis Philippe in 1796, during his exile from France. In 1826, Ye Olde Union Oyster House opened its mahogany doors to Bostonians. Taking great pride in their tradition and history, the Union Oyster House continues to serve classic New England seafood with Boston baked beans and warm buttery cornbread.

For an after dinner drink, head to Jacob Wirth (31 Stuart Street, (617) 338-8586) established in 1868. Enjoy traditional Yankee fare such as beef stew and some of Boston’s best brews at the legendary 150 year-old mahogany bar.

Searching for something sweet to end your night? Look no further than the Omni Parker House Hotel (60 School Street, 617) 227-8600) for a slice of Boston Cream Pie. Created by the hotel’s pastry Chef M. Sanzian in 1856, Omni Parker House Hotel continues to bake their pies with Sanzian’s time-tested recipe.

Historic Hotels

The Omni Parker House Hotel  (60 School Street; 617) 227-8600) isn’t just known for pie. It has been a symbol of luxury and old-world charm since 1855. Located along the Freedom trail and just a short walk from Boston Common, the Omni Parker House Hotel is at the heart of Boston’s historical downtown.

The Copley Square Hotel (47 Huntington Avenue; (617) 536-9000) is Boston’s second oldest hotel, established in 1891. Copley Square Hotel was President William McKinley’s campaign headquarters and has hosted figures such as Babe Ruth, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday.

With gilded accents and a grand sky mural, The Fairmont Copley Plaza (138 Dartmouth Street; (617) 267-5300) is the art historian’s dream. The original site of the Museum of Fine Arts, the hotel boasts sumptuous accommodations, antiques, and art in each room.

For a unique experience, stay at the Liberty Hotel (215 Charles Street; (617) 224-4000), formerly the Charles Street Jail, which housed some of Boston’s most infamous criminals.  Take advantage of Liberty’s critically acclaimed and aptly named bar and restaurant, alibi and clink, which are complete with jail bars.

If you prefer ladders to jail bars head to Kendall Square. Kendall Hotel at Engine 7 Firehouse (350 Main Street, Cambridge; (617) 577-1300) is a small boutique hotel with modern amenities and antique memorabilia of the “Black Sheep” firefighters. Originally a Victorian Firehouse, Kendall Hotel has housed firemen and hotel guests since 1895.

Unearth These Historical Gems

Curl up in the Coolidge Corner Theatre (290 Harvard Street, Brookline, MA; (617) 734-2501) for a movie on a chilly day. Nestled in Brookline, The Coolidge Corner Theatre is one of the only silver screens left in United States. Built as a church in 1906, Coolidge Corner Theatre was redesigned as an Art Deco movie palace in 1933. The @fter Midnite film series shows cult favorite films every Friday and Saturday. Advertised as the worst film in history, The Room is shown once a month. Don’t miss this month’s viewing November 9th at 12 midnight and bring spoons (Don’t question it. Just do it).

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (280 Fenway; (617) 566-1401) has a deceivingly normal exterior that houses a 15th century-inspired Venetian Palace with flowering courtyards and more than 2,500 pieces of art by Rembrandt, Botticelli, Raphael, Titan, and Matisse. Visit the Great Bare Mat & Constellation exhibit, which runs through January 7.

With cobblestone streets and 19th century row houses, Boston’s Acorn Street is a narrow passageway into the past. Lose the car and walk along the city’s most photographed street, nestled in one of Boston’s most historic neighborhoods: Beacon Hill.

Visit America’s hometown: Plymouth. Located just an hour from Boston, Plymouth is a perfect day trip for history lovers. Enjoy the picturesque views of Plymouth Harbor and visit “The Rock” that marked Plymouth as home for English Colonists in 1620. Go aboard the Mayflower II, a full- scale reproduction of the Pilgrim’s vessel, and experience how the passengers lived during the perilous voyage. Visitors can also experience pilgrim life at the Plimoth Plantation (137 Warren Avenue, Plymouth, MA; (508) 746-1622).

Don’t leave without…

A trip to Boston is not complete without a walk through the Boston Common. Founded in 1634, Boston Common is America’s oldest park. British troops camped on Boston Common prior to the Revolution. They also met on the Common before facing colonial resistance at Lexington and Concord in 1775.

The Boston Common is also the starting point for the Freedom Trail. Follow the red line of the Freedom Trail for a self-guided walking tour of Boston’s history. This tour is perfect for a crisp November day. The Freedom Trail guides visitors along 2.5 miles, 16 historical sites, and takes approximately two hours to complete.

One of Boston’s most iconic buildings, Faneuil Hall, is also located along the trail. Since 1742, Faneuil Hall has served as a meeting hall and public marketplace. Samuel Adams and other patriots orated for American independence at Faneuil Hall. Today, the first floor is a lively market with many dining options and the second floor still serves as meeting place for Boston City debates.

Photo Sources:

Seeplyplymouth.com

Fodors.com

Chloe Green-Vamos joined the Her Campus team as a Branch Manager in September 2011. In this role she oversees 5 new My Campus branches and works with very talented writers and leaders in colleges across the U.S. Chloe first became involved with Her Campus in January of 2011 as a contributing writer for Her Campus BC. Chloe is a junior at Boston College in the A&S Honors Program majoring in French and Communication. Chloe spends her spare time doing yoga, cooking(what do you expect from a Southern girl),shopping and daydreaming about travel.
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.