Bone Marrow: The Gift of Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

What if you could save a child, a life, a family.  You can be an ordinary BC student one day, and in a few hours, a lifesaving hero.  How many chances in your lifetime can you say that?

I’m speaking about Gift of Life: bone marrow donations.  Bone marrow is an essential part of our body, kind of like Baldwin at a BC football game or Che-Chi’s on a weekend night: essential.  However, when bone marrow malfunctions in diseases such as leukemia, the only way to cure it is with chemotherapy.  Unfortunately, chemotherapy does not care whether the marrow is healthy or not and kills all.  With bone marrow donations, leukemia and those with other cell destroying illnesses will receive the opportunity to replace the killed marrow and be on the road to recovery. 

So, what is a bone marrow drive?  When we hear these three words, we immediately think “a large needle is going to be inserted into my back and it’s going to be very painful.”  However, this is not the case.  The first step is a brief questionnaire session to determine if you are even eligible to donate based on your past medical history and a mouth swab.  From this, you will be put on a list to see if you are the match for patients.

For a step by step walk through of what bone marrow donation is, watch this video.

Be an inspiration and help instill hope in a person.  It is the feeling that you get after you give that you have donated that allows us to fulfill BC’s meaning of “men and women for others.”

Watch the inspirational meeting of when donor, Katie saves a child with leukemia, Gregory.

There will be a Bone Marrow Drive in McElroy lobby TODAY, October 30 and Thursday, November 1, from 10am-4pm.

Take the first step and give the gift of life.

Photo Sources:
http://uploads.static.vosizneias.com/2011/02/aye.jpg

Melanie is a senior at Boston College. 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.