Best Brunch Places around Boston College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I am a foodie who loves to try new places and brunch is my favorite meal on the weekends. Want a well-deserved study break on a Sunday? Or need a little refuel from your night out? These are the five best brunch places located less than 5 miles from Boston College and will turn your Sunday Scaries into Sunday Funday.  

1. Johnny’s Luncheonette – 1.3 miles from MAC (6-minute drive)

Johnny’s Luncheonette is located in Newton Center and will undoubtedly satisfy your brunch craving, whether you are in the mood for eggs or pancakes or a deluxe sandwich. The place is always crowded on a Saturday or Sunday, but I have never had to wait longer than fifteen minutes. The inside is colorful with purple and red booths and purple and red tiled floors with yellow accents on the wall. There is a counter space where you can see the kitchen while they are scrambling eggs and flipping the pancakes. Their food is spot on and will put you in a food coma for the rest of the day. I typically get the Old Fashioned French Toast, which is made on the griddle out of challah bread… yes… challah bread. It is light, airy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. My sister usually goes the savory route and gets the B.E.L.T.C.H, which stands for bacon, egg, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar, and a hash brown. The hash brown is perfectly crisp in contrast to the light French roll. This one of a kind sandwich will leave you drooling. Some of my friends’ other favorites are their corn beef hash, grilled blueberry muffins, and their bacon.

2.  Farmstead Table – 1.4 miles from MAC (6-minute drive)

Another great food joint is the Farmstead Table located in Newton as well. I went here with my parents on Parents’ Weekend and the atmosphere and food were unique and great. It is a small restaurant and clean-looking on the inside. The tables are light wood, with accented lime green chairs. This is a brunch place that I would go to if I wanted to dress up a little and not just show up in my pajamas (how I appear when I walk into Johnny’s). The brunch menu has delicious food even though it does not have that big of a variety. When I went with my parents, I got the Farmer’s Plate, which came with 3 eggs softly scrambled, chives, crispy espelette potatoes, north country smoked bacon, and griddled spelt toast. The toast was my favorite part because it was a thick slice of bread that was similar to Texas Toast. We also got a basket of popovers which were not dense at all and they came with a sweet, homemade, strawberry jam. Another recommendation is the brioche French toast and can we please pause for a second because this menu item needs to have its 15 seconds of fame. It is a slow-risen French toast with real maple syrup drizzled over the top. Seriously, so good. My dad got the steak and eggs, which also looked very good and hearty as the over easy eggs dripped over the medium rare slices of steak. Farmstead Table is a modern, unique farm-to-table brunch place with excellent food.

3. Tatte Bakery and Cafe – 3.9 miles from MAC (14-minute drive) located in Brookline

Immediately after you step foot into Tatte Bakery and Cafe, the smell of muffins, scones, and croissants smacks you in the face. The inside is usually filled with people, which can be overwhelming at first, but the food is well worth it. The place is also crawling with BU and BC students, so you will probably see a familiar face. The walls are white and contrasted by dark wood chairs, but they have marble countertops and wooden tables. The tables are close together so it encourages you to speak to people you may not know. You order at the counter and they bring your food to your table with your corresponding number. The menu at Tatte is very healthy and earthy. They have different breakfast options, along with tartines, sandwiches, salads, and soups. I got the avocado toast (avocado tartine) and it was to die for. A tartine is an open-faced sandwich, so it had arugula, two poached eggs, and sliced radish on two pieces of sourdough bread. The bread was toasted and the poached eggs were runny right when you cut into it. I also ordered a hot coffee on the side and it warmed me up and was delicious. My friend ordered the same thing as me but got an iced latte, which was decadent and sweet. They also have a bunch of desserts displayed in a case where you order that all look so yummy. A couple that stood out to me were the banana walnut tea cake, cinnamon walnut coffee cake, and the poached pear tart. Tatte is definitely a must try, even though you might have to throw some elbows to get seats at a table. It is well worth it.

photo taken by Cayley Stonehouse (my sister)

4. Eagles Deli – 1.7 miles from Upper Campus 7-minute drive)

Eagles Deli is the perfect hangover food (so I have heard). The place is always crowded with Boston College kids and is a favorite amongst all. The inside is simple, with wooden tables and chairs and a counter where you order your food and receive a number. The food is then brought out to you and I am always tricked thinking another table’s food is mine and my mouth starts to water prematurely as I see the food tray pass by the table. They have a wide range of food options from omelettes to egg sandwiches to pancakes to salads to wraps to a variety of burgers. I went for the first time during orientation and it truly changed my life. I thought about those fries the rest of the summer and when it was move in day, that was our lunch break. If I am in the mood for eggs, I get the Western Sandwich, which has chopped ham, peppers, onions, and cheese served on a bulky roll. But, if I am in the mood for lunch, I get the Eagles Delight, which has grilled chicken served on focaccia with avocado, lettuce, tomato, melted American cheese, and honey mustard. However, what I recently discovered is the ultimate combination of breakfast and lunch, which is the Brunch Burger. The brunch burger has a fried egg topped with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and provolone cheese. The egg always burst open when you take your first bite and it is the perfect mix of a breakfast sandwich that is hearty and filling. Also, another plus to Eagles Deli is the prices!

photo taken by my sister Cayley Stonehouse  

5. The Cottage – 1.3 miles (6 minute drive) located in Chestnut Hill

The Cottage is the final brunch spot that I am advising you all to go to. The Cottage is a great spot right in Chestnut Hill. This restaurant is big and lively and is bright on the inside. If you go on a Saturday or Sunday, I would have a reservation just to avoid the long wait time. I crave their eggs benedict as it is on my top five of eggs benedicts I have tried. They do it pretty traditionally with an English muffin topped with Canadian bacon, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce. The eggs are perfectly cooked because the yolk oozes and the Canadian bacon is perfectly done too as it is crispy just along the edges. The hollandaise sauce isn’t too creamy and heavy. This restaurant is casual and perfect for large groups and the restaurant is very kid friendly. Some of my friends’ and family’s favorites include the fried egg sandwich, the quiche, and of course the FRENCH TOAST.

Did I make you hungry? Good. Go check out one of these spots!

Sources:

https://www.pexels.com/photo/breakfast-meals-on-table-803897/

Hi! My name is Cameron Stonehouse and I am a Senior at Boston College. I have been apart of HerCampus since freshman year and have loved being apart of this organization. In my free time, I like to hang out with friends, read, and cook! My guilty pleasure is reality tv and popcorn :)