Behind The Scenes: NY Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As the summer turns to fall, the glamorous gear up for NY Fashion Week.  The fashion elites seek to keep us up-to-date on the coolest trends, people, and pieces for the upcoming season.  As we scroll through the fashion blogs, we see the beautiful clothes and hip after parties, but we also wonder about the models.  What is it really like behind the scenes of Fashion Week?  Claire VanBeber, an up and coming model shares her experiences on (and off) the runway.

Molly: So, Claire, how does a model get to NY Fashion Week?

Claire: It was my first time being a part of NYFW! I have been modeling for five years in Dallas, Texas.  I worked part-time through college and now I am signed with Muse Model Management in NYC!  I am now pursuing modeling full-time, and I just completed my first fashion show season by walking in five shows – Zang Toi, Stella Nolasco, Charlotte Ronson, Azede Jean Pierre, and Maria Ke Fisherman.

MS: From blogs, fashion week looks so glamorous.  Is that how it really is behind the scenes?

CV: There is definitely glamour involved in the job—from getting our hair and makeup done professionally to wearing special designer pieces.  However, the process of getting ready for the fashion show or photo shoot is definitely not glamorous at all!  Backstage is always so crowded with so many people trying to make everything perfect for the show, and the makeup artists are always very rushed.  It is chaotic to say the least, but it is still exciting and fun!  A lot of effort goes into that one moment when the model is walking down the runway.

MS: Take me through a typical day at NYFW.

CV: About two weeks before the show starts, the castings begin.  Each model has to cast for every single show, so for about two weeks I was going on five to eight show castings a day!  At each casting, you do your runway walk and the casting director looks at your portfolio.  If you are chosen for a show, you will come back for a fitting on another day.  Walking in the show is the final step.

MS:  Are there a lot of perks?

CV:  As soon as I got to NYC I began to realize that there are quite a few perks! ModelLounge is a lounge near Union Square where models can go to hang out in between their castings. During fashion week they had free lunches and giveaways! Select stores and gyms also give models discounts.

MS: What is the most stressful thing about fashion week?  What is the most fun?

CV: The most stressful part is how many castings you have to go to each day with the pressure of looking great at each one. The most fun is the day of the show when you get to be all done up by professionals and wear one-of-a-kind creations from the designers that you are showcasing to the world for the first time. There is always a lot of energy on the day of the show and walking on the runway is exhilarating!

MS: Last question: tell us you get to keep the clothes.

CV: No.  The clothes worn at fashion week are one-of-a-kind samples.  After the show, they are flown around the world for celebrities and photo shoots!

If you would like to follow Claire, check out @clairevanbeber on Instagram.

Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English.