Beans, Creams & Broken Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Words cannot describe my emotional rollercoaster with Beans, Creams, and Dreams. Like any freshman during summer Orientation, I was desperately hungry and in need of some replenishment from what seemed like endless amounts of icebreakers and “Hi, what’s your name?” My father and I walked to Lower campus, noticed Beans, Creams, and Dreams from across the road, and approached the counter to order lunch. Though I did not know it at the time, this was a rare moment to say the least. It’s a true story in fact: I had my first meal at BC at Beans, Creams, and Dreams. How much has changed since then.

It’s safe to say that Beans, Creams, and Dreams has become a bit of a joke around campus in recent years. Standing alone, shacked up, and isolated in the center of Corcoran Commons, it is rarely… well, never open and has a sense of mystery, confusion, and ultimately disappointment associated with it. Why is it never open? Students ask. When will we be able to experience it? Take a look at BC Dining’s website and Beans, Creams, and Dreams (apparently nicknamed “The Shack”) looks like one pretty great place, as it is “home to burgers, hot dogs, smoothies, chips, ice cream & fun. Open seasonally, and as weather permits, The Shack attracts those who enjoy a quick bite outside.” Open seasonally and as weather permits… Really, BC dining? “The Shack” was open one day last year during the year, Marathon Monday to be exact. Talk about disappointment… and false advertising.

Imagine the possibilities if this tiny eatery was actually open more than just one day a year. Location-wise, the students could not ask for a better place to have a coffee, ice cream, and burger spot. For those on Lower living in the Mods, 66, Vandy, 90, or Walsh, passing by that area is a frequent part of their day and being able to grab a coffee on the run before class during the spring semester would be perfect. Why can’t we make this a reality? Instead, each day as I head to class, I walk by the tiny shack and am heartbroken at the lost opportunity.

This past week big news came from the BC Dining Twitter (which most likely gained 100 followers in the last week alone), in that Beans, Creams, and Dreams has been remodeled and transformed into “Meatball Obsession.” By that I mean they added a sign that covered the previous Beans, Creams, and Dreams logo and added rather large, blown-up pictures of meatballs in a cup. This had most of the student body asking, “why meatballs?” with a blank look on their faces. To be fair, some students happily embraced the change while others, like myself, truly wondered how “The Shack” could pull off this transition. As a vegetarian, it’s safe to say I’m not exactly head over heels for the move but I can’t help but wonder about the success of “Meatball Obsession.”

So, maybe it’s time for me to say goodbye to Beans, Creams, and Dreams and accept that our one moment together, the summer before freshman year, was our first and last. I’ll try not to think of it as I see students flock to Meatball Obsession on Marathon Monday and perhaps other times during the final, few weeks of school. Personally I’m still confused on why college students would want hot meatballs in 70-degree weather, but I’ll withhold my judgment. For now, just let me be with my memories of Beans, Creams, and Broken Dreams.

Photo Sources:

www.facebook.com/bcmemes

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum