BC’s Relay for Life Celebrates the Millionth Dollar Milestone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This Friday, March 20th, hundreds of students, faculty, and alumni will gather in the Flynn Recreation Complex for Boston College’s Relay for Life, a community fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. It is a sunset to sunrise event, meant to symbolize the journey of a cancer patient, from their diagnosis (sunset) to hope for a positive remission (sunrise). While this is the eighth year Boston College has participated in this event, this year is a special one. In February, BC’s Relay for Life officially raised its one millionth dollar in the eight years since it began. This milestone also makes Boston College the first university in Massachusetts to do so. For every dollar raised, the American Cancer Society donates 72 cents to research. That’s a lot of money raised through a one-night event.

When I asked how this year’s million dollar mark makes the event different than it has been in previous years, the event chairs, Mark Maleri ’15, Emily Hoffman ’15, Kristin Meehan ’15, and Claire Ritten ’16, responded,  “Reaching the million dollar milestone makes this Relay uniquely special because it is an accomplishment that has been years in the making. Everyone who has participated in Boston College Relay For Life since its start is responsible for helping us reach this milestone.”

Besides monetary growth, this year’s Relay has also seen an increase in participation from the athletic department, faculty, and staff, as well as the number of teams registered. The event will also have 12 performances spaced out throughout the night to keep participants energized and provide entertainment. The Relay for Life committee’s goal is to raise $175,000 for the American Cancer Society and reach 1,500 participants. “Celebrate” is one of the three main components of Relay along with “Remember” and “Fight Back.” At Relay this year, we will have the opportunity to celebrate those who have been essential in helping us reach the million dollar mark,” said the event chairs in an e-mail statement.

If you want to help celebrate, remember, and fight back against cancer, by registering to join a team, it’s not too late! Online registration ends Thursday at midnight, and you can still register in person at the door event. While the Relay itself may only last one night, the effects of the money raised through it will undoubtedly last much longer, just like how the people who will be impacted by the event are far more than those who attend. Click here to sign up!

Victoria is a sophomore in CSOM at Boston College, majoring in Business Management with a Marketing concentration. She is also involved in the Student Admission Program and is a freshman mentor for the Compass Fellowship. When she's not at BC, you'll find her spending her days on the sand in her hometown of Rockaway Beach, a suburb of New York City. She enjoys going to concerts, traveling, watching Gossip Girl and Scandal, and pretending she's Beyoncé.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.