A BC Girl’s Guide to Newbury Street

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We all love Newbury Street.   Any given Saturday afternoon, walk down this Back Bay paradise and you’ll be hard pressed to not run into another BC girl who you are friends with, or know just casually enough to pretend you don’t see her while you’re both in the dressing room at Lululemon.  Don’t lie, we’ve all done it. While virtually everyone who goes to BC has made the trek down the Green Line to the Hynes Convention Center stop, not everyone is familiar with every single store Newbury has to offer.  The key to success while shopping here is to avoid the crowds of tourists and families with small children, and shop in the stores that aren’t as well known as the big kahunas (if you’ve ever tried to maneuver your way through the Forever21 on Newbury, you know what I mean).  You’ll maintain your sanity and probably come away with some great pieces that nobody else will have.

The next time you spend an afternoon shopping downtown, be sure to check out some of the lesser known stores on Boston’s version of Rodeo Drive.

1. 344 is a Boston chain whose flagship is located at 344 Newbury Street.   They carry great, affordable clothes that can transition easily from class to cocktails.   Breezy shirts, trendy skinny denim, and neon spandex tailored perfectly for 80’s parties are all housed there.   You’ll also be able to find relatively inexpensive heels and wedges for the rare night you feel like braving the mods with a little extra height. 
344 Newbury Street

2. So Good, located more or less across the street from 344, is a costume jewelry mecca.  Its walls are filled from top to bottom with earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings.   Everything is inexpensive, and you’re sure to find the perfect accessory to complement any outfit you purchase at another store.  
349 Newbury Street

3. National Jean Company, located at 218 Newbury, opened its newest location recently, and stocks virtually every denim brand you could dream of.   Paige, Joe’s, MiH, Citizens of Humanity- they’re all there. NJC focuses on quality, so you’ll never walk away with a pair of jeans that fits poorly or will rip at the knees. In addition, you’ll find accompanying tops and shoes for your new denim.  
218 Newbury Street

4. Crush is a Charles Street boutique that opened a Newbury location early this year.  You’ll find über trendy pieces perfect for everything from class to date night to dinner with your roomies within their walls. Everything is girly and chic; brands include Wink NYC, Brandi Melville, and Gold Hawk.  
264 Newbury Street

5. In The Pink is a Lilly lover’s wonderland.   Bright floral prints, classic wrap dresses, and cozy cardigans are all nestled into this small brownstone boutique and are sure to satisfy any pattern craving you may have.   
133 Newbury Street

6. Second Time Around stores sell vintage and gently used clothes.  Don’t make the mistake of equating STA to a neighbor’s garage sale; you can actually find great deals on designer clothes there, as well as this season finds from stores like J. Crew at a fraction of the price.  If you check behind the counter, you’ll also be able to check out gently used handbags from Marc by Marc Jacobs and Tiffany jewelry.  
Various Locations, Newbury Street

7. The Closet is another great vintage store.  Located roughly across from Aldo and Intermix, this tiny basement boutique is stuffed with vintage designer denim, shoes, and handbags – we’re talking everything from Chanel to DVF to Brian Atwood heels.  Last year, I found four gorgeous cashmere sweaters here for $35 each.  
175 Newbury Street

8. Calypso St. Barth, which started out as a resort wear company, has evolved today into a brand known more for investment knitwear and great dresses for formal events.  Check out their selection for homecoming dresses, cashmere sweaters, and more.  
114 Newbury Street

If you have an afternoon to kill, and are in the mood to explore Boston’s brownstone bordered haven, be sure to check out these gems.  Start at the Hynes stop and make your way east toward the Boston Common; you won’t regret it, and I can guarantee you’ll end up with some stellar finds.

Happy shopping!

Photo Sources:
http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/sugartown/41752_bomberbluehushwid=495&he…
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/NewburyStreet.jpg/30…
http://static.dailycandy.com/resource.jsp?id=111840&name=crush-boutique-…
http://s4.favim.com/orig/50/blair-blair-waldorf-gossip-girl-leighton-mee…

Maddie is a senior at Boston College, where she spends her days fawning over literature and Art History textbooks. She was previously an editorial intern at Her Campus, and is now a HC contributing writer and blogger. Follow her on twitter @madschmitz for a collection of vaguely amusing tweets. 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.