To the Bandit Marathoners: Thank You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When I first found out that the Campus School Marathon team would not be allowed to run in the Boston Marathon, I had mixed feelings. Obviously I knew we had to respect the B.A.A. decision, but at the same time, my heart broke for the committee that had been working hard all year and the runners who had been training in incredible numbers. The wonderful committee of Campus School Volunteers did not give up, though. They tenaciously pushed for a solution, and the Bandit Marathon was born.

Although this was great news, there were still a lot of obstacles for the team. There was the coordination of an entire marathon, as well as the numbers of runners dropping, all on top of the usual task of training in general. With the deadline drawing near, and committee kept working hard and staying positive, until April 13th rolled around.

Walking into the Campus School on that chilly and rainy morning was such a relief. The runners were optimistic and encouraging, which set the entire tone. Spending just a few minutes with them before the run began proved that it was going to be a great day, no matter what.

We loaded up the buses and drove over to Hopkinton, where the vibe of the day was even greater. As the buses pulled up, we were greeted with families, friends and random people who saw us setting up and wanted to give their support. After an encouraging speech and a blessing, the runners were off to an incredible start!

For the rest of the day, I followed the running route with other Campus School volunteers so that we could check on the water stops. These water stops were hosted by supportive and loving members of our community who wanted to thank the runners for all they are doing for the Campus School. Each time a runner came by the stops, they were able to muster up big smiles and thank yous. We all couldn’t help but laugh at the overwhelming politeness of the runners, because after running that far, I don’t think I would be able to smile even if I tried.

The best water stop, in my opinion, was the one at Mile 21! Seeing all of the BC students out there, cheering on their classmates, was incredible. There was a strong sense of community and support as people came out with signs and encouraging words.  From what I have heard from runners, this was the perfect inspiration to keep running.

I couldn’t have been more proud of my brother, Chris Marino, for running the Bandit Marathon!

Finally, we stopped at the finish line. Once again, we were greeted by families and friends, all eagerly awaiting the arrival of their runners. There was so much excitement and anticipation, you couldn’t help but feel it. Runners were greeted with hugs, laughter and a whole lot of love as they crossed the finish line.

I want to take this opportunity to say thank you. Thank you to the runners, who didn’t give up even when it was hard. Thank you to the Marathon Committee, who wouldn’t let obstacles hold them back. Thank you to the families, who braved the water stops to show their gratitude. Thank you to all the BC students who showed their support, whether that be through hosting a water stop or cheering along the way. Thank you to everyone who made our Bandit Marathon possible.

Photo Sources:

Chelsea Beyrand

Jenny Phan

Campus School Volunteers

http://conteconfidentialbc.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/campusschool.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum