Advice for the New School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Is it just me, or are we already going at the school year full-force? As young Collegiettes, sometimes our lives are so fast-paced that we can’t seem to catch a break. It’s important to start the new semester off with the right attitude, so you can set the pace and mood for the perfect semester. When trying to refocus your energy on what’s really important in life, here are some things to keep in mind:

You come first.

I know it’s cliché, but often times we forget to think of ourselves in the midst of all the craziness. When balancing an intense schedule, remember not to neglect your most basic needs (eating, sleeping, etc.). It’s also important to give yourself some alone time, just to collect your thoughts and take a break. Whether you are a veg-out-in-front-of-Netflix kind of person, or you enjoy sweating out your troubles at the Plex, or if you are taking advantage of every last warm day we have left by sunbathing on the quad (guilty), take a little bit of time each day and just relax.

Don’t let yourself fall behind in work.

This is something I have to remind myself every day. As a senior in college, it’s very tempting to throw care out the window and focus solely on having fun. While I might be deemed the coolest person on campus, it won’t come at an easy price. Falling behind in classes is extremely easy in college, and the best time to stay on top of all your work is right at the start of the semester. Tell yourself that you’re going to put things off as little as possible, and do your best to keep up with your work before it starts piling up.

Try to avoid petty drama.

Another tough obstacle in a Collegiette’severyday life: drama. Whether it’s friendship troubles, roommate issues, or lovesick blues, our lives are full of ups and downs. It’s important to step back and decide what is actually worth putting your energy into. It can be hard to separate yourself from all that’s going on, but know that your mental health will be in a much better state if you don’t get too wrapped up in every little problem. Try to focus on the bigger picture and what will ultimately make you happy.

And with that little bit of advice, I wish each one of you the happiest of semesters. I hope everyone is as determined as I am to make this school year the best one yet!

Photo Credits:

http://cdn1.bostonmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/boston-college.jpg

http://novelheartbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/reading.jpg

http://www.thelakeviewhusky.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/High-School-Friendships-Olivia-Esparza-credit-to-studentuniverse.com-1.jpg

Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English. 
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.