This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This week, we feature our very own HC BC writer Ashley Goncalves. Check out what she has to say about studying abroad in London. Is it all “tea and crumpets with the Queen,” like I thought?

Name, Year, Major, Hometown:

Ashley Goncalves, 2015, English, Milton MA

Abroad University:

Queen Mary, London

What is the university you are studying at like? 

My university is only a mile away from central London and has a contained campus, which I love! It makes it feel more like home! It’s definitely not as beautiful as BC, but it’s charming in its own ways! 

What classes are you taking? Do you like them?

I am taking three English classes: Narrative, World Travellers, and Satire, Scandal & Society. I am also fulfilling my arts core abroad by taking a class about London architecture where every other week we travel to a different site in London to examine the architecture of iconic buildings. I love two out of the four, so I guess that’s not bad! 

Are your classes different from classes at BC? How?

The classes are definitely very different from BC, but it is hard to articulate exactly what is different about them. There is definitely more emphasis on doing things on your own here, especially since each class only meets once a week for two hours with a lecture followed by a seminar. Also your grade (at least for me) is based on two essays per class, one being weighted 40% and the other 60%, which definitely makes writing them far more stressful! 

What other types of students study at your university? Are they friendly? Do they like meeting students studying abroad there?

Most of the students studying here love meeting study abroad students and the percentage of study abroad students is quite high! 

Where are you living? Do you like it?

I am living in a flat (UK equivalent of a dorm) on campus where I have my own room and bathroom, but share a kitchen with eight other people, three guys and five girls. Yes, here we do co-ed flats! I love where I live and it’s so nice to have your own space, but also have flat-mates.

What is a typical day like for you?

I only have class Monday through Wednesday, which leaves me with so much time to explore the city. Recently I have been really into visiting markets, especially this one called Borough Market where you can get everything from fresh produce to freshly made goats milk ice cream (the mint chocolate chip is to die for) to veggie burgers and grilled cheeses (I could go on and on but I know you are already all drooling at the thought of this place so I’ll stop there). I make a point to do something cultural every Thursday with one of my friends who also doesn’t have class and so far we have been to places like the British Museum, the National Gallery, and the Natural History Museum just to name a few! 

What do you do on the weekends?

I would love to say that I go to tea every weekend (I have been four times already), but unfortunately my bank account cannot sustain that habit! On the weekends I’ve taken trips to other places in England such as Bath and Stonehenge and I have also checked out clubs and bars in London, which have been amazing so far! I unfortunately have to make time for doing actual work at some point. I feel like no one ever told me I would be doing actual schoolwork while I was here…okay maybe they did, but I clearly wasn’t listening! 

Where else have you traveled so far?

So far I have traveled to Ireland and Paris, but now that classes have ended (yes, you read that correctly) I have plans to travel to Italy, Scotland, Portugal, and Paris (again). I will probably add in a few more weekend trips, but those tend to be more spur of the moment! 

What has been your favorite experience so far?

My favorite experience so far has been getting to really know London in all aspects and feeling like I actually live here which is crazy. My second favorite experience would have to be visiting Paris with my best friend and meeting up with one of my other best friends, who is studying abroad there. It was absolutely beautiful, and biking through the gardens of Versailles was one of the most amazing experiences!

Studying abroad is and has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Not only have I learned so much about myself, but I have also seen so many places and met so many amazing people! I even learned a lot about BC by being abroad and it’s going to be really hard to leave London come June, but BC will always be my home and no matter how far away you go, you always find your way back home. 

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum