Abroad Blog: When In Rome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Now that it’s the third week of classes, I’ve finally started to settle into a routine, which has helped me adjust to my new living situation. I’ve perfectly timed the walk to school (it takes me around 20 minutes), so I know exactly when to leave my apartment every day, I have a day for grocery shopping and laundry, I know when and where to eat and do my homework, and I’m making friends in all my classes.

This weekend, we did some more exploring of the beautiful city that I get to call home for the next three months. On Friday, we went to the Basilica of St. John the Baptist, which is the holiest church in Catholicism. It’s absolutely gorgeous. We also went to see the Holy Stairs, which are the stairs that led up to Pontius Pilate’s house that Jesus walked up to be condemned. They’re marble stairs, but they’re covered with wood, and you have to climb up them on your knees. It hurts a lot, and it takes a while since there are 28 stairs, but it’s an incredibly humbling experience.

On Sunday, we went to the Castel Sant’Angelo, which is near the Vatican. It’s an ancient castle where the popes used to live, and then it was turned into a museum. There are five levels, and from the top you can see the entire city of Rome. It’s breathtaking. I could have spent all day up there, just sitting and looking at everything. Thankfully, it’s not too far from my apartment, and it doesn’t cost too much for admission, so I’ll definitely be back.

While y’all are suffering massive amounts of snow back home, it’s beautiful and sunny here every day! The rain has finally cleared up, and it’s been mid-50s every day. On my walk to class this morning, I didn’t even have to wear a jacket!

This week, I booked a trip to Paris for next weekend, and I’m planning my spring break adventure through Spain. We’re also planning trips to Amsterdam and Venice, and hopefully a weekend in Greece is in the works.

My family has officially confirmed the dates they’ll be visiting, so I’ve started counting down to that (less than 70 days!), and my boyfriend will be visiting over BC’s spring break, so I’ll get a few glimpses of home while I’m here. Check back next week for more of my adventures!

BC Senior, Future High School Teacher. Lover of laughing, Diet Coke, friends and family, pandas, peanut butter, and the BCMB.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.